cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H7 CPU speed increase

simonellwood9171
Associate II

I have just realized, that the CPU speed of the STM32H7 series has increased from 400 MHz to 480 MHz, on the ST website and in the documents.

The STM32MUX clock tool, doesn't though know about this yet.

I have not been able to find any info on, if this is some new measurements, so that this speed increase affects all revisions of the STM32H7's, or if this only affects the newer revisions.

Has anybody stumbled upon this information somewhere?

25 REPLIES 25

I'll swap you six rev Ys if you get any rev Vs 🙂

Off topic but could I also ask where do you get the surround for the LCD on your Little DeFormer ? I think I recognise the case and end mouldings you are using, but not that part and it gives a much more professional finish.

That sounds like a deal! 🙂 I have just checked our stock, and it is all rev Ys for now, but if I get some V's, I'll get in touch!

I use the 4D systems displays, that are delivered with the sorround. It most certainly does look better, than many other displays!

Dear @MikeDB​ ,

* All my suppliers are still shipping Rev Y. When will rev V be on general availability ? Can I get a sample of rev V H750 in the meantime to check my software still works correctly ?

-> We are making stocks, and distributors too, so it should be available soon during next month (May). For more details, you may check directly with local ST office or distributors.

Khouloud.

Dear @simonellwood9171​ ,

* Are there any ways to make sure, to NOT get the rev. V?

We already have shipped a lot of musical instruments out with the Rev. Y. We can't just change the firmware at this moment...

-> I advise you to check directly with local ST office or distributors.

And regarding the silicon revision, I really recommend to migrate to the new silicon revision V since it contains fixes for major limitations identified on revision Y.

Khouloud.

Thank you very much for your reply.

It looks like, that I will have no choice, but to migrate to revision V. Our devices can automatically update themselves via USB, and since the FLASH programming sequence has been changed, we will need to change our code, and have 2 different firmware versions, in the same instruments.

I am really sorry to say this, but I think that this is a really poor design choice, and I actually find it quite annoying.

I agree. I have boards loaded with rev Y, and some unused units, that are now effectively scrap. Surely the rev Y could have been kept and the rev V given a new part number ?

This reminds me of the 1990s when the company I worked for banned using STM parts as they were constantly obsoleting them. Effectively this is the same policy returning.

Well I checked with Avnet Europe and they don't seem to know what they have.

Hello @simonellwood9171​ ,

You're always welcome!

Just for your information, you don't need two different firmware versions, only one firmware will be enough; as new FLASH programming sequence is compatible with revision Y devices.

Khouloud.

I agree with you too! Since the new revision is not completely code compatible with the current one, ST could at least have given it a new number, to avoid frustration and confusion. I got confused, the moment that I saw that 400 MHz was changed to 480 MHz.

And such issues will most certainly be included in the considerations, when choosing a processor for our next design...

Ok, thank you very much for that information. That really sounds great!

All bests,

Flemming