cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeMX as Eclipse plugin on Linux 64 machine

syanke
Associate
Posted on February 26, 2014 at 01:38

I was able to download and install the STM32CubeMX plugin from ST (stsw-stm32095.zip) into my Eclipse 64-bit Kepler SR-1 software on a Linux 64-bit machine.  Opening the perspective created a problem - An internal error of ''../plugins/com.st.microxplorer.rcp_4.0.0.201402191421//db/plugins/projectmanager/linux/64/toolgen.so not found'' message came up.  Looking through the jar files in the zip file, it appears that only Windows dlls (32 and 64) can be found in the projectmanager directory of the plugin.

The slightly older version of microxplorer (pre-STM32CubeMX) dated from Sept 2013 was able to run, in it's own limited way, without hitting this type of error.

Was Linux just overlooked with this plugin, or is it really just for Windows only?

#bug #stm32cubemx #stm32cubemx-eclipse-linux
21 REPLIES 21
bertalan
Associate
Posted on September 01, 2014 at 10:31

If the .dll is doing only what its location suggests, there is actually no point in porting it to linux: none of the supported IDEs have linux versions, so noone needs the generated project files under linux.

However, some(*) want to use the generated source code to use with tools available in linux.

I am able to run STM32CubeMx in wine and create the source files, so that is one solution.

From ST side it would be nice to provide upcoming version of the plugin with an option (default option if OS is linux) for ''Toolchain/IDE'' selection ''none/gcc''. When choosing that it would create only source code, no project files without stupid error messages.

(*) based on the number of views of this thread ''some'' seems to be a significant amount of people
paulthomas9
Associate II
Posted on September 08, 2014 at 19:14

First, I'd like to say that STM32CubeMX is an excellent idea, it is much better than just the example projects that other vendors provide. If this wine issue were resolved, and it could generate a plain Makefile build (rather than just 3rd party commercial IDE targets) then it would be perfect.

The wine install for java and STM32CubeMX was very easy (Fedora 20 64-bit), however like other folks the ''Clock Configuration'' tab is blank.

I also tried to extract the java files from the exe to run directly on Linux, and this was fine except for the toolgen.dll dependency. Can't toolgen just be compiled for Linux? I can't imagine it has many win32 dependencies.

I'm also attaching the console log of starting STM32CubeMX in wine and changing to the ''Clock Configuration'' tab.

thanks,

Paul

Attachments :

console_log_wine_stm32cubemx.txt : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006HzRD&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000bLv%2FKFuFvfBCMOGlllay9n7Gu3fQnuzzWpPJP0A6l4yLRiE&asPdf=false
Lix Paulian
Senior
Posted on November 22, 2014 at 12:17

Another half a year is gone and ST still doesn't support Linux or MacOS... as someone remarked earlier, if it's only Windows, why bother writing it in Java anyway? The most hilarious is the existence of an Windows only Eclipse plug-in: by definition it should be multiplatform, as the whole Eclipse is.

olivier
Associate III
Posted on November 25, 2014 at 12:50

Hi,

In case that can help someone, I have been able to run the stand-alone version of STM32CubeMX under Linux without using Wine. Here is how I did:

• Install Java 8 (Java 7 does not work). To make sure you have Java 8, run

java -version

from a console. Version should be 1.8.x.
  • From a console, run the .exe installer like that:

j

ava -jar path_to_exe/SetupSTM32CubeMX-4.5.0.exe

This should open the installer wizard.
  • Complete the installer process. Make sure you disable the creation of shortcuts.
  • To run STM32CubeMX, from a console, run:

java -jar install_path/STM32CubeMX.exe

This procedure worked for me on Linux Mint 17 for STM32CubeMX v4.5.0, and I have been told that it works on MacOS X.

Most features seem to work. What DOESN'T work:

• Project files generation (that seems to make sense from ST comment above). To ST people: please add project files generation for Eclipse/GCC
  • ''Check for Updates'' (in Help menu): it seems that it checks something, but it did not report any available update when I was running v4.3.0, even though v4.5.0 was available.

I hope this helps.

Olivier

kwiatkowski
Associate II
Posted on June 24, 2015 at 15:02

http://fivevolt.blogspot.com/2014/07/installing-stm32cubemx-on-linux.html

It worked

for all

previous versions

but not for version 4.8.0. It stops after folowing message:

STMicroelectronics\STM32Cube\STM32CubeMX\\db\plugins\projectmanager\linux\64\toolgen.so not found

Check the installation of the application.

Where I can download the older version of CubeMX?

basile
Associate II
Posted on June 25, 2015 at 09:16

Hi,

Version 4.8 works very well for me under linux. I followed instructions from hochreutiner.olivier post, above. Thank you very much !

In my case, I generate project for SW4STM32 tootlchain, which works great.

Updates seems to be OK to, since I installed CubeMX 4.6 and I recently upgrade to 4.8 through the update menu (same for updating packages version).

Basile

kwiatkowski
Associate II
Posted on June 25, 2015 at 10:46

I have a fresh installation and it doesn't work. This version contains folder /STMicroelectronics/STM32Cube/STM32CubeMX/db/plugins/projectmanager/windows/64/toolgen.dll but no linux version. Can you check this path in your installation?

kwiatkowski
Associate II
Posted on June 25, 2015 at 12:02

Method from hochreutiner.olivier on fresh installation of version 4.8.0 doesn't work, but instalation of version 4.6.0 using this method and update to 4.8.0 works. Thank you.

hbarta2
Associate III
Posted on June 25, 2015 at 23:20

Two things surprise me about this thread. First is the bashing of ST for not providing a Linux version. I have always found it more fruitful to ask politely rather than insult. But maybe I've just grown too old for the flame fests. ;)

The second thing is that no one has mentioned the option to run MX directly on Linux. It does work with the right invocation. That is

java -jar /path/to/STM32CubeMX.exe

The installer works the same way. I also tried running it as an eclipse plugin but saw no benefit to that. It appeared that it was the same program but in an eclipse window with no other integration into the IDE. (I am no eclipse expert so clue me in if I'm overloking something.) (Edit: I see it was mentioned... Reading comprehension... ;) I do not know if Linux interoperability is a benefit of the tools chosen by ST to produce this or if they put actual work into it. Either way I very much appreciate the results. It seems to work well downloading libraries and generating projects. At that point things get a little rough as it does not target any native Linux IDEs. It would be cool if you could generate eclipse or [shudder] Makefile projects. There is a group athttp://www.openstmorg/About+OpenSTM32 that is working on better MX/eclipse integration and MX now targets their eclipse plugin. It is still more time and effort to get things working on Linux, but if you're a hard headed penguinista like me, it is worth the effort.
kwiatkowski
Associate II
Posted on June 29, 2015 at 13:36

I think, that cubeMX is Linux ready now. It seems that everything works quite well, but there are no installation packet available for Linux. CubeMX is a very helpful tool so there is also a big interest among Linux users.