cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE Device Configuration Tool limited in compare with STM32CubeMX?

Jack3
Senior II

I tried two aproaches to start a new project:

1. Using STM32CubeIDE only, using "Device Configuration Tool"
  2. Using STM32CubeMX and open it in STM32CubeIDE

There are a lot of things that can not be choosen in STM32CubeIDE Device Configuration Tool, so options and checkboxes remain grayed out.

Under Project Manager "Gnerate Under Root" acn't be deselected.

As a result, I can't deselect "Generate Under Root".

In "Code Generator" I selected Pair of .c/.h files for peripherals, but they are are not generated, instead everyting is put in the main.c file.

When stating with STM32CubeMX, and importing from an STM32CubeMX generated code, things are fine, just the way I want it.

Is "Device Configuration Tool" a limited version of STM32CubeMX?

Or am I doing something wrong?

EDIT, Solved, right-clicking the ioc file in the project tree, and selecting "Generate code" solved it.

It told me so in the project tree right after the ioc file: "[Code Generation is required]"

Sorry for bothering.

One project generated by STM32CubeMX and opened in STM32CubeIDE shows in yellow "(in STM32CubeIDE) behind its project name, it compiles fine, but why is that?

UPDATE: I see it has a subdirectory "STM32CubeIDE", so that's why.

So by now, I prefer to start a new project by using STM32CubeIDE "Device Configuration Tool"

It seems the cleanest way to do it.

2 REPLIES 2
Jack3
Senior II

In regard to this, I have some old truestudio projects which were imported into STM32CubeIDE.

They contain a subdirectory TRUESTUDIO and the project tree is a bit different.

The compile fine.

But can those be converted in such way they look and feel like they were generated using STM32CubeMX? Those also have virtual folders, still.

Is there a tool or python script which could do this?

Hello @Jack3 ,

The STM32CubeIDE supports importing projects from Atollic TrueSTUDIO. After importing, the projects should be compatible with STM32CubeIDE, and you can work with them as you would with any other project created in STM32CubeIDE. However, the structure of the project may still reflect the original TrueSTUDIO format, including the presence of virtual folders.

To convert the project structure to resemble one that was generated using STM32CubeMX, you would typically need to manually reorganize the project files and folders within STM32CubeIDE to match the standard structure expected by STM32CubeMX-generated projects. This process involves creating the appropriate virtual folders and moving files into these folders as needed.

Regards

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.