cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am currently doing the STM32CubeMX basic MOOC. Is there a development kit other than the Nucleo board available where I can get all the parts necessary for the projects in one place?

MAshiq
Associate II

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Well, it's always helpful if you include the URL of the MOOC so that people are sure what you're referring to - because there are a lot of MOOCs on YouTube.

I guess you mean MOOC - STM32CubeMX and STM32Cube HAL basics?

For this MOOC (and similar ones) you don't need any hardware other than a few wires, the PC and the USB cable. SPI and UART are short-circuited with a so-called loopback, the STM32 receives its own transmissions, so to speak.

Good luck and enjoy the MOOC!

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @MAshiq​, to the community!

The question here is how exactly you want to orient yourself to the MOOC. In principle, the steps of the MOOC can be transferred to NUCLEOs with other target MCUs as well as to e.g. DISCOVERY boards. However, you must then compare the two boards (the NUCLEO-F401RE used in the MOOC and the one you have selected and you are working with) in detail and make the corresponding changes, because, for example, the user button or the LED are connected to a different GPIO.

However, please keep in mind that the DISCOVERY boards are intended to discover the respective target with as many external functions as possible, so they usually only offer a few free GPIOs. In contrast, the NUCLEOs offer full freedom in connecting external components and it is relatively easy to switch from one NUCLEO-64 to another, for example.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
MAshiq
Associate II

Hello @Peter BENSCH​, thanks for your explanation! Really appreciate it!

So, I wanted to buy any parts that are necessary for the MOOC. I already have STM32L476rg Nucleo board. I saw the prerequisites for the MOOC as listed on the course page. I only found this Nucleo and some other software mentioned there.

For the hands-on projects like SPI, I2C - do I need any other sensors, IMU etc.? I wanted to buy all the necessary parts beforehand (similar to a development kit by Arduino) so I don't have to wait for shipping while doing the course.

Thanks,

Ashiq

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Well, it's always helpful if you include the URL of the MOOC so that people are sure what you're referring to - because there are a lot of MOOCs on YouTube.

I guess you mean MOOC - STM32CubeMX and STM32Cube HAL basics?

For this MOOC (and similar ones) you don't need any hardware other than a few wires, the PC and the USB cable. SPI and UART are short-circuited with a so-called loopback, the STM32 receives its own transmissions, so to speak.

Good luck and enjoy the MOOC!

Regards

/Peter

MAshiq
Associate II

Yes @Peter BENSCH​ , I am doing this course MOOC - STM32CubeMX and STM32Cube HAL basics.

Thanks for the reply! It was a great help!

Regards.

Ashiq

Great!

If the problem is resolved, please mark this topic as answered by selecting Select as best. This will help other users find that answer faster.

/Peter

Sure. I have done that.

Thanks for the suggestion!