cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set the STM32CubeMX firmware location?

AWolf.8
Associate III

I am using STM32CubeMX for projects. Due to the configuration of our system. I set the firmware location to an alternate directory using the Project Manager tab.  Everything generates fine. However, if I save the project, close it and reopen it, the firmware location setting is not saved.

What is going on?

4 REPLIES 4
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The path to the firmware is normally fixed in STM32CubeMX: Help > Updater Settings

(Shortcut: Alt-S)

But you probably used the possibility to enter the path via the Project Manager, which is meant for alternative possibilities.

Usually, the latest firmware library is used to be up to date during the development. However, if the development has already been completed and the developed status is to be frozen in order not to lose the already obtained approval of the developed system in case of later firmware updates, for example, one has the possibility to set a fixed version in the Project Manager.

In addition, you can also deactivate the default firmware location and specify your own. However, it is important to note that this is not an absolute path, but a relative one that is also found in the created .ioc file:

ProjectManager.CustomerFirmwarePackage=..\..\ etc

It is conceivable that this relative assignment means that paths can no longer be found later, for example if these paths were temporary.

I would recommend setting the firmware location using the method mentioned at the beginning. With a larger number of developers, this also has the advantage that the very large directories do not have to be kept and updated locally each time, but the repository can be kept together in a (local) cloud, for example.

Does it answer your question?

Regards+

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
AWolf.8
Associate III

I have been able to make the change in Updater Settings today. That may solve my problem for now.

The real problem is that is I use the Project Manager to select an alternate path, then I save the project; the alternate path does not get saved and it is not there when I reopen the project. The alternate path is used before I save the file. That must be a bug, right?

I set the path like this and it works:

0693W00000Lx8IeQAJ.pngThen I save, close, and open the project and I get:

0693W00000Lx8KuQAJ.png

Hmm, somehow it looks as if the path is still included, but the check mark for "User Default Firmware Location" has been set again. As a workaround, deleting the check mark manually should therefore work.

Which version of CubeMX are you using?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Actually, the path has changed from 17.0 to 15.1.

Also, I currently have the default set to that directory. If the default is set elsewhere, the entire path changes.

I am using 5.6.0. I know that I should upgrade, but we have software images deployed to 300 machines and they usually only let me update the image once a year. We missed last year due to Covid so I am 2 years behind. I can test the latest version on a standalone machine. (I have tested 5.6.0 on a standalone machine and it still does the same thing)