Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPU in STM32WLE5 ??

Niclas Hedhman
Associate III

In the System View Description file STM32WLE5_CM4.svd it says;

<fpuPresent>true</fpuPresent>

But the datasheet doesn't mention any FPU, the MCU Selector on st.com has a dash "-" for FPU column , and ARM docs about Cortex-M4 says that FPU is optional.

So, is there an FPU or not in STM32WLE5 (and STM32WL55, as there the SVD says the M4 has an FPU but the M0 doesn't)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

I don't have a chip to verify, but it would be bizarre if the FPU existed and was usable but wasn't mentioned in the reference manual or datasheet or online documentation.

The SVD is the last thing I'd trust. There are frequently issues with SVD files such as missing registers, incorrect addresses.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TDK
Guru

I don't have a chip to verify, but it would be bizarre if the FPU existed and was usable but wasn't mentioned in the reference manual or datasheet or online documentation.

The SVD is the last thing I'd trust. There are frequently issues with SVD files such as missing registers, incorrect addresses.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Yes, I have since seen that elsewhere, but it surprises me quite a bit. I would have thought that everything was derived from the same source (whatever that is) by automated tooling.

Based on my experience and perception, I think that is mostly true, except that SVD files appear to be created manually. CubeMX/HAL stuff certainly seems to be auto-generated from some database.

The CubeMX itself generates the C code from templates, but it's templates and the HAL drivers are not auto-generated. If that would be the case, the HAL code would not be inconsistent for identical peripherals on different MCU series.