cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CubeMX SPI data size bug?

decalvus
Associate II

In CubeMX when configuring a SPI peripheral I can only choose either 8 or 16 bit, but the STM32G491 reference manual says data size can be from 4 to 16 bit. Is this a bug in CubeMX?
(using the newest CubeMX version)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AScha.3
Chief II

STM32G491xC   ds :

AScha3_0-1704793551785.png

But in Cube can only select 8 or 16 bits, i can confirm.

Obviously a bug.

@Ghofrane GSOURI , would you report this ?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Ghofrane GSOURI
ST Employee

Hello @decalvus 

First let me thank you for posting.

The data size selection in SPI is important because it determines the resolution and range of values that can be transmitted in a single communication transaction. Here's an explanation of the different data size options:

1- 4-bit data size: With a 4-bit data size, each data element transferred during an SPI transaction is represented using 4 bits. This allows for a range of values from 0 to 15 (2^4 - 1). A 4-bit data size is less common but can be useful in certain applications where limited precision is required, or when the transmitted data is compact and can be represented within a small range.

2- 8-bit data size: An 8-bit data size is the most common option in SPI. Each data element is represented using 8 bits, allowing for a range of values from 0 to 255 (2^8 - 1). This is typically sufficient for most applications and provides a good balance between precision and data size.

3- 16-bit data size: A 16-bit data size allows for even larger values to be transmitted. Each data element is represented using 16 bits, providing a range of values from 0 to 65,535 (2^16 - 1). This data size option is useful when dealing with larger data values or when higher precision is required.

Indeed, for most applications, the 8-bit and 16-bit data sizes in SPI are sufficient and cover the majority of use cases. The 8-bit data size provides a good balance of precision and data size, while the 16-bit data size offers a wider range of values and higher precision and that's why CubeMX offer those two options .

Thx

Ghofrane

AScha.3
Chief II

STM32G491xC   ds :

AScha3_0-1704793551785.png

But in Cube can only select 8 or 16 bits, i can confirm.

Obviously a bug.

@Ghofrane GSOURI , would you report this ?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Hello @decalvus and @AScha.3 

Thank you for your contributions and for your detailed explanations,

I confirm the issue on my side, it has been reported to STM32CubeMX development team .

Internal ticket number: 170304(This is an internal tracking number and is not accessible or usable by customers).

I will keep you posted with update

Ghofrane

Hi Ghofrane

Thanks for helping.

Did you acknowledge it as a ‘bug’ in CubeMX?  (I’m a bit unsure since you replied “and that's why CubeMX offer those two options”)

Also, the datasheet mentions the range is from 4 to 16 bits (4,5,6…16), not only 4, 8 or 16 bits.