cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change device package on an STM32H7 project?

WLear
Associate III

CubeMX does not support import for STM32H7 projects. Is there a way to change packages on an H7 project. Specifically, Can I change from a 144 pin STM32H745ZI to a 176pin STM32H745II ?

Edit: For this specific package change (i.e. changing to a larger package), it appears I can manually edit the .ioc file, changing all MCU references. Are there any problems with doing this?

4 REPLIES 4
TDK
Guru

You can change the chip if the project was created in standalone CubeMX by clicking on the chip name. If you created it in CubeIDE, pretty sure it cannot be changed.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
WLear
Associate III

Thanks for the quick response. This project was created in standalone. Unfortunately, the Mcu Reference field is read-only in the Project Manager dialog. I don't see another place to edit this value.

As a quick test, I created a new project using an STM32F723, and had the same result - the Mcu Reference is read-only

Am I missing an option someplace?

TDK
Guru

Hmm... I thought you could change between chips within a family, but now I can't find how to do that. It's possible I'm mistaken. Apologies. Maybe someone else knows.

Edit:

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X00009XkWGK/change-mcu-on-stm32cubemx

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
WLear
Associate III

Not a problem. Thanks for your support. So far, the manual edit approach appears to work at least for moving to a larger package of the same part. That meets my immediate need. All I did was search the original .ioc file for the current part number and replace all instances with the new part number. The original .ioc file also contained a "board" definition which was no longer applicable, so I also deleted that.

The documented method of changing part numbers is to create a new project with the new part number and import the old one. That DOES work for single core devices, but is unfortunately NOT supported for the STM32H7 family.