cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CUBEIDE: Won't start.

michvhf
Associate

STM32CubeIDE 1.9.0 has been working fine, until tonite. I started it and after it asked which workspace it acted like it was loading but never went anywhere. I killed it, removed the .lock file and restarted and the same thing except it's now exiting. The .ide.log has this:

2022-06-15 23:57:26,297 [INFO] PluginManager:213 - loadIPPluginJar : add gic

2022-06-15 23:57:26,301 [INFO] IPUIPlugin:75 - create IPUIPlugin

2022-06-15 23:57:26,301 [INFO] PluginManager:213 - loadIPPluginJar : add openamp

2022-06-15 23:57:26,624 [FATAL] Updater:297 - Updater called before beeing initialized

2022-06-15 23:57:26,784 [FATAL] Updater:297 - Updater called before beeing initialized

2022-06-15 23:57:26,795 [INFO] DbMcusAds:47 - JSON generation date=Thu Sep 30 02:55:09 EDT 2021 (1632984909247)

2022-06-15 23:57:26,795 [FATAL] Updater:297 - Updater called before beeing initialized

... and it just keeps going. I tried re-installing but it just says "Nothing to install", prolly because it is installed.

OS is Debian whatever the current version is called.

Any ideas on how to get this working again?

Thanks!

Vince.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
michvhf
Associate

I created another workspace directory and moved my project into it and things are working again. Still would be nice to know what went wrong tho in case it happens again.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
michvhf
Associate

I created another workspace directory and moved my project into it and things are working again. Still would be nice to know what went wrong tho in case it happens again.

VMart.2
Associate

It happened exactly the same to me. Same STMCubeIDE version, also Debian, and also worked again creating a new workspace folder.

It would be really nice to know the reason why it happened. I suppose that this is a problem of underlying Eclipse. Eclipse has been giving me problems for years, I really don't understand why is it so popular.

It seems that CLion now can read .ioc files... sooner or later I will give it a try.

Thanks a lot michvhf for showing the solution.

Javier1
Principal

i also find this recurrent issue with workspaces, also anotherone where youcannot add new projects to your current workspace so you need to create another workspace :_(

we dont need to firmware by ourselves, lets talk
BartVL
Associate

Is there meanwhile an explanation or solution for this (apart from opening a new workspace)? It seems this still happens.

The STMCube32IDE version I have:
STM32CubeIDE
Version: 1.13.1
Build: 17479_20230728_0839 (UTC)
Java vendor: Eclipse Adoptium
Java runtime version: 17.0.6+10
Java version: 17.0.6

Current situation:
- All the files of my project are under version control in GIT.
- I delete the directory in which the project was located and do check out the repository again into the same directory.
- Launch the STM32Cube again.
- Select the project directory, the same as the one in which the GIT repository is checked out
- The Project Explorer is empty now
- Select "Open Projects From File System"
- Import Source: Directory...
- Select the folder. All looks good and I can see the 'existing' project
- Now press Finish

Nothing seems to happen (The Project explorer is still empty and the existing project is not loaded)

If I check out the repository into a directory with a different name the project still does not open.
If I put the workspace outside of the directory in which the project is stored it does work.

Do I now conclude that you cannot have the workspace overlapping the directory in which the actual project is stored? In any case having the workspace and the project inside the same directory worked at least once because that's the way I originally started before I put everything under version control.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

>Do I now conclude that you cannot have the workspace overlapping the directory in which the actual project is stored

Correct. A project cannot be in the same directory as the active workspace. (I don't know why, just a well known fact). A project directory can be root of git repository.

In any case having the workspace and the project inside the same directory worked at least once

But you cannot reproduce it anymore. It was a glitch.

A structure where projects are in subdirectories of the workspace (which is also the repo root) is ideal.