cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE: HAL lib auto update?

LCE
Principal

Hello,

maybe this might be of interest to many people using CubeIDE and HAL libraries.

I've seen many threads here complaining that after a CubeIDE update HAL-related sources didn't work anymore.

That didn't happen to me, mostly because I don't use many HAL sources.

But just in case, how can I prevent that a CubeIDE update also updates the HAL files in my project?

I usually start with CubeMX, then generate code for CubeIDE, with separate .h/.c files per peripheral, then I try not to use CubeMX again.

If necessary I start another CubeMX project so that nothing of my original project is overwritten by CubeMX.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

In order to keep a specific version of HAL and not use the latest one, you only need to uncheck the Use Default Firmware Locations in the Project Manager. Then the currently selected version is always used.

This is very useful for projects that do not allow any changes to the libraries after certification, because otherwise they would have to be recertified.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

In order to keep a specific version of HAL and not use the latest one, you only need to uncheck the Use Default Firmware Locations in the Project Manager. Then the currently selected version is always used.

This is very useful for projects that do not allow any changes to the libraries after certification, because otherwise they would have to be recertified.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
LCE
Principal

Thanks!

So that's a setting to be done in CubeMX.

Maybe people should think of that before any updates.