cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE 1.7.0: No ST-LINK detected!

waldmanns
Associate II

I know I'm not the first reporting such an issue here, but the "solutions" in the previous threads did not help.

I yesterday have installed STM32CubeIDE 1.7.0 using the installer. When trying to run a code, a dialog opens saying "No ST-LINK detected! ...."

In order to solve this, I have

• upgraded the ST-LINK firmware to the latest
  • explicitly installed latest stlink server
  • connected the STLink directly to the PC, not via a USB hub

None of this helped.

My STLink works perfectly fine using ST-Link Utility as well as another STM32 IDEs.

I'm on WIN 7.

Any help to get this working would be much appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

The current tool for working with the ST-LINK is the STM32 Cube Programmer application. If this, and ST-LINK Utilities, work then the drivers and connectivity have been suitably established.

You might want to look more specifically at the errors/logs the CubeIDE is outputting with respect to its inability to find and load the ST-LINK.

Make sure you don't have a connection open/active in other tools or IDEs as it won't share between them.

The problem is then with the GNU/GDB and OpenOCD side of things, so perhaps issues with scripting, configuration files, or pathing to the tools.

#SorryImUsingKeil

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
waldmanns
Associate II

many thx sir for your response

I have installed STM32CubeProgrammer now and while it does not work it gives a more useful info to why not: It says "Error: ST-Link V1 not supported"

I didn't knew it would be V1, I always was under the impression it would be V2, and it worked with all 'STLink/V2' tools up to now

anyway, I presume, that's what it is, that the newer ST programs don't support my beloved STLink which has worked so well for me ... :(

there is no workaround possible? I don't need the debugger, all I need is to upload the firmware

is there a way to use Eclipse tricks to have a button calling the STLinkUtilities cmdline to upload?

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

> I'm on WIN 7

Do you have USB 3.0 host controller on this PC?

waldmanns
Associate II

no

I found two simple workarounds by now, however:

1) calling the stlink as external tool

2) https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00000DGpMn/i-cant-use-the-stlink-in-stm32cubeide-even-after-updating-the-stlink-firmware, see response by Georgy Moshkin

Despite that, the pikyness of STM32CubeIDE is however really annoying. I bought a STLinkV2 from mouser just for that reason, which has V2 firmware, but however appears to not be official ST (my guess), and STM32CubeIDE refuses to both upgrade firmware and to flash, while STM32CubeProgrammer is just happy to flash. IMHO ST is really not doing themselves any favor in blocking out the hobbyists and DIY communities, given that the STM32's are very popular in these communites, and given that these communities have driven and created new commercial fields such as drones and so on where STM32 have become defacto standard just for that. Not very smart, IMHO. My 2 cents.

Anyway, the topic here can be marked as resolved. MANY THX!