cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from TrueStudio to STM32CubeIDE, "Fail create backup of project files before conversion." No other message. How to debug this?

PDools
Associate II

Hello,

We have a long-lived project that we develop in Atollic TrueStudio. It contains 4 nested projects; two C/C++ projects, and another two Eclipse projects for web development.

I have tried to import these projects using the "Import/General/Import Atollic TrueSTUDIO Project" feature, and have been mostly successful. (STM32CubeIDE version 1.8.0 from November 2021.)

Unfortunately I can't convert the second of the two C/C++ projects, and I can't figure out why.

The only message that I get is "Fail create backup of project files before conversion."

There is no log that I can find that provides more detail.

I've repeatedly tried with a variety of combination of the projects selected during the import attempt, and always with the same result.

I've noticed that the .project file is copied to .project_org, but the .cproject file is left untouched, suggesting that the .cproject file cannot be copied. The permissions on both files are -rw-rw-r-- for both files.

Is there a way to start STM32CubeIDE so that it provides more detailed information about the cause of this problem?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for those files, without this no chance to understand where the issue was !

Your project is actually defining resources filters:

0693W00000JOalHQAT.pngMeans that .cproject file is present on disk but hidden from the IDE scope, so no chance for the converter to proceed.

To get the converter working I had to edit the .project file, remove all <filteredResources>[...]</filteredResources> stuff, and import the project again.

Hope this will resolve your issue too.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Julien D
ST Employee

In your workspace log file (<workspace_path>/.metadata/.log) you should have the related Java Stack Trace of the exception for "Fail create backup of project files before conversion.".

Could you paste it there ?

PDools
Associate II

Hi Julien,

Thanks for following up.

I will attach the file. Lightly edited.

PDools
Associate II

... and the file .ide.log, renamed to cube_ide.log

The converter actually fails because one of the 2 required files, .project and .cproject, is missing.

In your case here, error is about .cproject.

Edit: those files are project description files, internal stuff to get projects working, and storing all C/C++ settings. That is not your issue here but they must not be edited manually.

Hi Julien,

The file is not missing, I promise you. It is right there next to the .project file.

Here is the output of ls, after the failed attempt to migrate the project:

18:52 $ ls -a 
.  ..  .cproject  .gitignore  post_build.sh  .project  .project_org  .settings

No doubts I trust you 😉

This is indeed really weird, the core platform component behaves like if the file is not there whereas the exceptions above clearly state the file has been well parsed...

Can the project be shared by private message ?

Sent. Thank you.

Thanks for those files, without this no chance to understand where the issue was !

Your project is actually defining resources filters:

0693W00000JOalHQAT.pngMeans that .cproject file is present on disk but hidden from the IDE scope, so no chance for the converter to proceed.

To get the converter working I had to edit the .project file, remove all <filteredResources>[...]</filteredResources> stuff, and import the project again.

Hope this will resolve your issue too.