cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to use float in printf?

yakabmarci
Senior

Float in printf doesn't seem to work in new projects created in stm32cubeide

If i create a project in sw4stm32 it works, there, it also works if i import the sw4stm32 project, it does not work if i create a new project in cubeide

In all cases the option -u _printf_float is used, but in case of new cubeide project, this setting is somehow ignored and the wrong prinf is included, visible in mapfile

good (imported project):

../arm-none-eabi/lib/thumb/v7e-m/fpv4-sp/hard\libc_nano.a(lib_a-nano-vfprintf_float.o)

bad(new project):

../arm-none-eabi/lib/thumb/v7e-m/fpv4-sp/hard\libc_nano.a(lib_a-printf.o)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ethan HUANG
ST Employee

​Besides enabling -u _printf_float (either by manually typing in MCU GCC Linker/Miscellaneous or checking option in MCU Settings), please modify _estack in linker script for example from 0x2001ffff to 0x20020000 as described in the thread:

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000AldaPzSQI/cubeide-sprintf-does-not-work-with-f

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Ozone
Lead

> bad(new project):

> ../arm-none-eabi/lib/thumb/v7e-m/fpv4-sp/hard\libc_nano.a(lib_a-printf.o)

This most probably means you selected a library version without float support in this case.

I'm no CubeIDE user, but such options are usually set while creating the project. Check the IDE documentation/help on how to fix it.

Knut_Knusper
Associate III

Thanks,

There is not need to repeat what i said, i know that this is the problem, the wrong printf is included even tho I specified that I want the float one with the linker flag -u _printf_float. The -u _printf_float is what is supposed to fix this, and it does for the imported project, but not for the newly generated one

> There is not need to repeat what i said, ...

It is. as reference to the point I'm referring to.

> The -u _printf_float is what is supposed to fix this, and it does for the imported project, but not for the newly generated one

Perhaps because it referenced another library ? You could compare the sw4stm32 version and the CubeIDE version, to find out.

Check the CubeIDE documentation, as said.

yakabmarci
Senior

This is so annoying I spent so much time on this.

Now i checked that the right printf is included but it only prints 0.0

The testcode is very simple, just create a standard template project for any stm32 (i tested this stm32f746ng), add code below somewhere

add option "Use float with printf from newlib-nano (-u _printf_float)" in the Tool Settings\MCU Settings

check the buffer via debugger.

any ideas on this?

volatile float a = 3.14f;

char buff[100];

while(1){

sprintf(buff, "a= %f", a);

a+= 0.001234;

}

stm32ide project -> it only prints a=0.0

sw4stm32 project-> works correctly

what exactly do you mean by the cubeide documentation?

You have any specific one in mind? otherwise this is just trolling, It doesn't work, oh you should check 'the documentation'

I checked many documentations..

Knut_Knusper
Associate III

Did you try the Runtime Library "Standard C" and the option Use float with printf from newlib-nano (-u _printf_float) together?

Because this Setting works at my projekt.

Thanks for the feedback,

I tried newlib (nano.spec) and standard lib, i have the same wrong result in both cases.

But -u _printf_float makes sense only if newlib-nano is used, is it not?

The difference is that the sw4stm32 is a c only project the stm32cubeide is a c++ one (tho only c code is used).

the first one is linked with arm-none-eabi-gcc, the other with arm-none-eabi-g++

I think the problem is in this area somehow, both have the same options, the c++ one has additional options (-lstdc++ -lsupc++)

Edit:

Note: the stm32 project wizard always creates a c++ project, even if i select c project

Ethan HUANG
ST Employee

​Besides enabling -u _printf_float (either by manually typing in MCU GCC Linker/Miscellaneous or checking option in MCU Settings), please modify _estack in linker script for example from 0x2001ffff to 0x20020000 as described in the thread:

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000AldaPzSQI/cubeide-sprintf-does-not-work-with-f