cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable error popup window.

PG.1
Associate III

Hello!

I'm using STM32CubeIDE 1.6.1. This question is not specific to 1.6.1, the problem (or feature???) existed before.

When debugging (build and debug, or press the green bug), if there are errors, the IDE asks me if I want to run (proceed with launch) or cancel. It also asks me if I always want to proceed with launch, but there is no option for automatically stop on error.

Why is it so? Does it make sense to anybody to proceed with errors?

Why isn't there an option to stop on error automatically?

I checked the preferences,

Preferences -> Run / debug -> Launching -> continue launch if project contains errors

There is an option for always, for prompt, but no option for never. Why is it so?

Is there any case where one would like to run a buggy software?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

>  Does it make sense to anybody to proceed with errors?

Yes, there are cases when the debugger wrapper cannot properly guess whether the executable was built with errors or not.

For me it usually is when debugging makefile projects and the executable is not built with the 'managed' eclipse procedure,

plus loading more symbol tables from other executables.

I don't understand what exactly causes these popups, but it's good that there is a way to silence them.

--pa

PG.1
Associate III

Hello!

Thanks for your reply.

> Yes, there are cases when the debugger wrapper cannot properly guess whether the executable was built with errors or not.

I guess the debugger wrapper doesn't have to guess anything: the compiler just ran and output errors. In which case, I can't

understand why one would run a program known to be buggy.

And ok, even if this feature is useful for some users, I think for most of the embedded programmers, as long as you have

an error, there is no point launching, and therefore I can't understand that there is no "never" option in the preferences

but only always and prompt.

Thanks