cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you change the background colour in STM32CubeIDE?

qua
Associate III

How do you change the background colour in source code editors? I have tried:

Window > Preferences > General > Appearance > Theme set to dark mode

Window > Preferences > General > Editors > Text Editors > Annotations has nothing for the background

Window > Preferences > C/C++ > Build > Console only affects the consoles

Window > Preferences > C/C++ > Editor > Syntax Colouring doesn't has a background option

Window > Preferences > C/C++ > Editor lets you set a background colour, and applying it works, but as soon as you close the preferences window the old settings comes back.

12 REPLIES 12
Issamos
Lead II

Hello @qua 

You can use this FAQ or this video to change STM32CubeIDE background colour. 

Best regards.

II

qua
Associate III

Thanks, as already mentioned I tried that and it doesn't change the background colour. Well, the theme does, but the dark theme is a bit too light for me.

You can also change other configuration,as mentioned in the faq, to make the dark mode updated as you want (contrast, light,...).

Best regards.

II

AScha.3
Chief II

try here :

AScha3_0-1694270862708.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
qua
Associate III

Thanks, but none of those affect the background colour in the editor windows. None of them match the background colour in the editor windows either, which for reference is RGB 47,47,47.

should be here : + de-select : system default !

AScha3_0-1694369844887.png

but maybe color from system because : 

AScha3_1-1694369966051.png

- so change color in system settings (try... 🙂 )

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
qua
Associate III

Thanks. I have checked the system colour, the background is full back (RGB 0,0,0) so it is not being picked up from there. The "System Default" checkbox is unchecked.

I did discover something interesting though. Have a look at this:

qua_0-1694431093893.png

I have the window split vertically, and the cursor is on the right side. The background colour is not the same in each window. The one on the left is my setting. As soon as I move the cursor to the left side, the colour changes to match the right side.

So it looks like the background colour setting you mentioned is used, but then overridden. My guess would be something in the syntax highlighting code is doing it, and moving the cursor to that window causes it to refresh.

I can't find any option in the syntax highlighting bit that corresponds to this grey colour though, so I can't find where it is coming from.

Rim LANDOLSI
ST Employee

Hello @qua ,

Could you, please, try to install the Darkest dark theme from eclipse marketplace following these steps:

1. Open STM32CubeIDE  

2. Open "Eclipse Marketplace" from "Help"

3. Search "Darkest dark theme " in the search box

4. Install "Darkest dark theme with DevStyle"

5. In "Confirm Selected features", make the configuration as default and click on "Confirm"

6. Accept the item of the Liscence Agreement and click on "Finish"

7. Wait for the end  of the installation and restart the STM32 CubeIDE

8. Click on "window" => "Preferences" => "Version Control" and check that "Darkest dark theme" is added.

Thanks,

Rim

maybe now we know , because - from eclipse team:

>>

By design we do not allow the editor background to be changed by the editor color theme as we believe the UI should have a consistent background color.

<<

BUT we can load plugins... menu -> help -> eclipse marketplace  : search: color

AScha3_1-1694442081051.png

-- install is your own risk 🙂