cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handy documents tip for CubeIDE

Al-E-Bags
Associate III

Hi, I realize I may be teaching Grandma to suck eggs here but I'm a relative newcomer to the STM32 ecosystem and I thought I could maybe help others out with a similar level of experience. 

Due to the sheer amount of documentation available for ST Microelectronis products, it's easy to find yourself browsing, downloading and storing a ton of PDF files (often duplicated over several locations on your drive) when you are working with multiple MCU's.

The way I have resolved the mess of documentation on my system is to create folders with all my PDF docs - on a board by board or board Series-xx basis - in it.  I then create a shortcut of the document folder within the project folder of the CubeIDE project I happen to be working on.  

To be able to open any of the linked docs form within the IDE, the next step is a must! Right mouse button click on any of the document shortcuts, select 'Open With' -> 'Other', then, select the 'External Programs' radio button and select a web browser of your choice when the list has populated.  Then, click the checkbox next to the 'Use it for all '*.lnk' files label and you should be good to go. 

I have to say it beats searching your hard drive for the same documents you had open the other day when they are just a click away within the project explorer.     

As the folder is a shortcut/lnk it's just a few Kb in size it doesn't bloat the project folder. 

Screenshot 2024-10-01 160007.png

0 REPLIES 0