cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugging ceased working after ST-Link updated forced by CubeIDE 1.15

SKled.1
Senior II

My project for the Nucleo board used to work fine with, I believe it was CubeIDE 1.13 or so.
After updating to 1.15.1, it forced me (refused to debug otherwise) update the firmware on the integrated ST-Link of the Nucleo L073 board.. After that, I am always getting below error. 
I can use STM32CubeProgrammer to upload the .elf file just fine, though, and it does run and the ST-Link virtual com also works.
Only debugging from CubeIDE ceased to work, and I am using the same debug config as before. Forcing the speed from "auto" to 1000 kHz, which has helped once before, did not help here.

What's up with that?

Error in final launch sequence:

Failed to execute MI command:
load C:\\Nucleo-L073RZ\\Debug\\Nucleo-L073RZ.elf

Error message from debugger back end:
Error finishing flash operation

2 REPLIES 2
Semer CHERNI
ST Employee

Hello @SKled.1 

First let me thank you for posting.

Could you share the complete debug log.
In the meanwhile, please try to change the GDB port number.

KR,
Semer.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

SKled.1
Senior II

Sorry, but before I'd let CubeIDE also wreck my stand-alone ST-link, I opted to uninstall all ST-Link related drivers, install CubeIDE 1.13.2 over this newer installation, as the ST-link was already marked as "needs update" (wherever the sneaky CubeIDE stores that, IDK) and my guess was that, as CubeIDE installer also installs ST-Link drivers etc, that I'd at least get the old firmware in them, and after then CubeIDE forcing me to do the "needed" ST-Link update, I'd still have something working.
This worked on one computer and its ST-link debugger - there everything works fine now, and I'll keep 1.13.2 for the foreseeable future, blocking your update servers if the nagging popups get on my nerves too much.

On the 2nd computer, CubeIDE crashed briefly before finishing the update, and now that debugger is bricked.

I'm getting a bit tired of having to come up with defensive measures to prevent CubeIDE from sabotaging my work and costing us money, or in this case even destroying our property, that, for some wild reason, ST apparently thinks was theirs.

Debugging requirements or capabilities don't change. The principles of that have been figured out / specs designed "a while ago".and It is highly dubious that any firmware updates for a long established debugger HW should ever be needed (as opposed to recommended), much less enforced change of a "known good" device.
So ST just wants that, period. And thinks they can do with us how they please.
Other vendors' offers are starting to become ever more attractive for future products, though.The time saved by Cube's init code generator is eaten up by repeated nonsense like this at some point.