cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugger not working after upgrade to STM32CubeIDE 1.1.0

Mark Reds
Associate II

Hi,

after upgrading my STM32CubeIDE application to latest version 1.1.0 I'm unable to debug my project.

According to the log it seems that debugger is unable to identify my STM32F401RE anymore.

I tried with a new empty project and I encountered the same issue. Here following the output of the log:

STMicroelectronics ST-LINK GDB server. Version 5.3.2
Copyright (c) 2019, STMicroelectronics. All rights reserved.

Starting server with the following options:
        Persistent Mode            : Disabled
        Logging Level              : 1
        Listen Port Number         : 61234
        Status Refresh Delay       : 15s
        Verbose Mode               : Disabled
        SWD Debug                  : Enabled

Waiting for debugger connection...
Debugger connected
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        STM32CubeProgrammer v2.2.0                  
      -------------------------------------------------------------------

Log output file:   /tmp/STM32CubeProgrammer_7uowht.log
ST-LINK SN  : 50FF71067788545428432167
ST-LINK FW  : V2J34S7
Voltage     : 3.19V
SWD freq    : 4000 KHz
Connect mode: Under Reset
Reset mode  : Hardware reset
Cannot identify the device
Error: unknown or unsupported device (DevID = 0x0000)

Memory Programming ...
Opening and parsing file: ST-LINK_GDB_server_V9fWXA.srec
  File          : ST-LINK_GDB_server_V9fWXA.srec
  Size          : 7328 Bytes
  Address       : 0x08000000 

Erasing memory corresponding to segment 0:
Download in Progress:

File download complete
Time elapsed during download operation: 00:00:00.056

Verifying ...

Error: Data mismatch found at address  0x08000004 (byte = 0x55 instead of 0xB1)

Error: Download verification failed

Encountered Error when opening /Applications/STM32CubeIDE.app/Contents/Eclipse/plugins/com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.cubeprogrammer.macos64_1.1.0.201910081157/tools/bin/STM32_Programmer_CLI
Error in STM32CubeProgrammer
Debugger connection lost.
Shutting down...

11 REPLIES 11

Thank you ! I was just doing the "step-by-step" pdf and didn't't understand why the debug wasn't working, think I will install previous version instead.

MHHH.1
Associate II

29 Jan 2020: I've had a VERY SIMILAR experience: I've been using STM32CubeIDE alongside the separate STM32CubeProgrammer for a couple of months. I'm using BluePills (STM32F103) with the ST-LINK V2 JTAG/SWD programmer / ICE.

All the Edit-and-Compile territory seems to work fine, the programmer is on the button, and I've managed to educate myself about the suite while writing / compiling / burning and running several test programs. I gather this tool was previously TrueStudio by Atollic (is that correct ?) and that ST acquired them to build this "in-house" suite.

So far so good. Getting DEBUG to behave took a while -- the ST-LINK I have is fine, never seems to cause issue --- but the full STLINK-with-GDBServer experience I found fails instantly when the GDB server insists on checking the "ID" on the STM32 chip on the board -- this differs by one digit on the BluePills from the supposed ID code - and the GDB server will have no more of it and exits. BUT, up to now - the second option -- "ST-LINK OpenOCD" -- worked FINE, as that check appeared not to be made, and the whole step-through-code / stop and review memory content process, all worked fine, I was even starting to learn some GDB commands, as you get a GDB console still (not quite clear how / this is some alternate incarnation of the GDB service presumably, not made clear in the docs). All of that WORKED FINE all yesterday until..... suddently it didn't. Now, NOTHING: No debug functionality at all: IDE behaves exactly as before, except, when I hit the final "Debug" button in the Debug_Configuration options panel, which previously launched two consoles, one STLINK and one GDB and set off the whole debug cycle....

- ABSOLUTELY NOTHING happens - as if I had not touched the mouse.  

So --- dug around looking at configs, could find nothing relevant.   Ran a  ps -ef | grep gdb   and could see no GDB server running....  even if I switch back to the "ST LINK - GDB Server" option for debug.  Something's not getting launched.  

Battled with this for an hour / finally UNINSTALLED the whole STM32CubeIDE in toto using synaptic:   REINSTALLED, all the way from the downloaded master script.

IDE back up..  EXACTLY THE SAME.  NO Debug functionality at all.     Test the ST LINK with CubeProgrammer --- works fine.  

ST --- this is BRAND NEW V 1.2.0 IDE ST: downloaded clean and new a few days back (was using 1.0.2 before).  What's going on ?  

I thought this code was mature ?

Now I'm reading up on OpenOCD to learn if I can do all this OUTSIDE your IDE.  

Might email this in to ST as well as the community to see what's afoot.  I have WORK to do ST:  tools should just work.   I've put my trust in you -- waiting to buy silicon for products -- can you sort this out please ?