Did you mean: 

Debugger connection lost.

Robert Poor
Associate III

6 REPLIES 6
Robert Poor
Associate III

Summary:

STM32CubeIDE 1.6.1 debugging works on a new, blank project but fails on the UART_Printf example.

Details:

I'm running STMCubeIDE Version: 1.6.1 Build: 9958_20210326_1446 (UTC) on macOS 11.1 (Big Sur), and connecting to a NUCLEO-G431RB dev board.

I created a new, blank project for the board (New => STM32 Project => Board Selector => NUCLEO-G431RB), compiled it and started the debugger. It started without error and I could single step through the instructions. Here's what was printed on the console:

STMicroelectronics ST-LINK GDB server. Version 5.8.0
Copyright (c) 2020, STMicroelectronics. All rights reserved.

Starting server with the following options:
        Persistent Mode            : Disabled
        Logging Level              : 1
        Listen Port Number         : 61234
        Status Refresh Delay       : 15s
        Verbose Mode               : Disabled
        SWD Debug                  : Enabled
        InitWhile                  : Enabled

Waiting for debugger connection...
Debugger connected
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        STM32CubeProgrammer v2.7.0-RC1                  
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
... (continued without error)...

I then created a new example project for the board (New => STM32 Project => Example Selector => UART_Printf), selecting the version for the NUCLEO-G431RB, compiled it and started the debugger. The debugger immediately shut down. Here is what was printed on the console:

Persistent Mode            : Disabled
        Logging Level              : 1
        Listen Port Number         : 61234
        Status Refresh Delay       : 15s
        Verbose Mode               : Disabled
        SWD Debug                  : Enabled
        InitWhile                  : Enabled

Debugger connected
Shutting down...

Just to make sure it wasn't a sequencing issue, I re-opened the blank project I previously created and launched the debugger. It worked without trouble.

Question:

So there appears to be something in the UART_Printf example that's causing the debugger to fail. What should I check for to diagnose this?

If you open directly the CubeIDE project (not via example selector), will it work?

https://github.com/STMicroelectronics/STM32CubeG4/tree/master/Projects/NUCLEO-G431RB/Examples/UART/UART_Printf/STM32CubeIDE

ONadr.1
Senior III

I have this problem alvays when I forgot alow MCU debug port in configuration (in CubeMX)

mattias norlander
ST Employee

@ONadr.1​, you have this problem with STM32CubeIDE or another IDE/debugger? It should not be necessary since CubeIDE forces the required GPIO pins to be used in SWD mode when connecting to target. So this is a bit surprising to me. Any specific board this happens with?

@Robert Poor​, I do not have access to this board (home office era), so cannot test run this particular example. Reading your console output it seems as if the connection to the ST-LINK crashes before CubeProg is allowed to download the example project binary. I think this rules out that there could be a problem with the elf-file of the UART_Printf example. Could you tell me which version of the CubeFW you are relying on? There are not .launch-files bundled with the example projects --> means that your CubeIDE environment was responsible to generate the debug configuration. I am wondering if it in some way could be corrupt? Things you can try:

• If you inside the debug configuration enabled "Log to file" checkbox, then the ST-LINK GDB-server will become a bit more verbose. Maybe we can learn something from this additional logging level...
  • You can also try to delete the debug configuration and re-create another one to see if this metadata is corrupted
  • You can try to create another debug configuration selecting Probe = OpenOCD instead of ST-LINK GDB-server. Let's look at this as a work-around. Not fixing the root-problem, but at least "uncblocking" you from progress in your project...
Robert Poor
Associate III

For better or worse, deleting and regenerating the project fixed the problem. As a result, I've not been able to replicate the problem, so we may never know what happened.

But thank you for your answers and suggestions!

JJako.1
Associate

Hello,

Just reviving this thread due to experiencing the same problems and by now having tried all the "fixes" that I've been able to find. 

Persistent Mode      : Disabled

Logging Level       : 1

Listen Port Number     : 61234

Status Refresh Delay    : 15s

Verbose Mode        : Disabled

SWD Debug         : Enabled

InitWhile         : Enabled

Debugger connected

Shutting down...

I'm evaluating the STM32L4 (brand new nucleo-l476rg board) for a new design and thus far I have not been able to even get started... 

Has there been any development regarding this issue?

Edit:

Enabling verbose mode doesn't provide me more information:

ST-LINK device status: HALT_MODE

ST-LINK detects target voltage = 3.27 V

ST-LINK device status: HALT_MODE

ST-LINK device initialization OK

Waiting for connection on port 61234...

Accepted connection on port 61234...

Debugger connected

Shutting down...