cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DEBUG mode @ stm32CubeIDE

StanCosgrove
Associate II

Hi, I come across debug mode using stm32 IDE and i would like to know whats the difference between serial wire and Trace Asynchonous sw? I know both are use when debuging the Nucleo144 board. And if u wana use a IC chip which mode should i use? JTAG mode? JTAG with Syno ? i m reading AN4989 and its not talking much about this. Can anyone kindly advise?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

When selecting JTAG with Trace Synchro with 1bit, 2bit or 4bit, a corresponding number of TRACED pins are reserved. As said, the option to select depends on the debugger used, in your case obviously a JTAG debugger.

By the way, there is no STM32H750IBTH, you must mean STM32H750IBT6?

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

With Trace Asynchonous sw, the ITM and the associated pin SWO are used, with which trace data can be obtained with suitable deguggers (see AN4989, section 2.1.3). The Serial Wire (SWD) setting, on the other hand, only uses the SWCLK and SWDIO pins.

Hope that helps?

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Ok i see, both Trace Asyn SW and Serial Wire is for debugging NUCLEO board, what if i wana debug an IC chip like STM32H750IBTH ? Which option should i choose? and what about the JTAG with Syno mode ?

No, Trace Asyn SW and Serial Wire are not limited to NUCLEO boards, but are alternative debugging functions of many STM32. Which of the two you use in the concrete case depends on your requirements for Trace and the debugger used.

What do you mean with JTAG Syno?

I mean if i have a custom design board with STM32H750IBTH IC which mode should chosse then? Enclosed JTAG Syno SW

StanCosgrove_0-1694680581882.png

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

When selecting JTAG with Trace Synchro with 1bit, 2bit or 4bit, a corresponding number of TRACED pins are reserved. As said, the option to select depends on the debugger used, in your case obviously a JTAG debugger.

By the way, there is no STM32H750IBTH, you must mean STM32H750IBT6?

yes STM32H750IBT6.

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

If the problem is solved, please click Accept as Solution. This will help other users find that answer faster.

Good luck!
/Peter