cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CubeIDE forcing you to login to ST is complete [...]

JDoe.2
Associate III

I don't care if the title of this post breaks some sort of forum usage rule, I just need to make it absolutely plain that I am sick and tired of every last company on Earth insisting I have an account with them and use it whenever I so much as breathe, drink a glass of water or, Chtuluh forbid ! update a HAL library for a microcontroller.

I believe there are more than enough bugs in CubeIDE, let alone actual necessary features that are missing, to keep your developers occupied forever. You did not need to waste everyone's time forcing people to login to ST. This feature brings nothing, helps no one but yourselves, and was asked by absolutely nobody, ever. So please, may I suggest you rethink this stupid, bordering on evil new addition to CubeIDE, and remove it with the next version ?

FYI, some of us work in companies where our computers are not, must not and cannot be, connected to the internet. It's already tough enough installing some of your HAL libraries (the patches) while being offline, we do not need the additional hassle of a login system that does nothing useful anyway.

A tool has to be convenient. If my screwdriver required an internet connection so as to snitch on how many turns I do in each direction depending on my GPS location, I'd start considering switching to fingernails or rocks.

You are welcome to try and make a case as to why you need me to log in to download updates to stuff you provide free of charge. I do need a good laugh.

Oh and I haven't checked on my last CubeIDE ticket... did you finally fix the bug where CubeIDE is confused when launching firmware on a target with Flash banks swapped ? Because that would sure be of actual use to the legions of programmers doing FOTA.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Hello,

For our Community members who faced login issue with STM32CubeIDE or STM32CubeMX, please refer to this post where explanation is provided and there the confirmation that problem is resolved.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

53 REPLIES 53
AScha.3
Chief II

oh, you still use one of these old screwdrivers, that can work without live wifi online connection ?

ok, i am also one of these "ancient" guys, and maybe, if STM keeps following the "new style", we have to look for another manufacturer sooner or later.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
RhSilicon
Lead

It's really annoying to have to login, maybe it's better that the data collection is done as Facebook (Meta) does.

This is how Facebook collects data on you even if you don’t have an account

Dear @JDoe.2 , all,

I read your testimony on STM32CubeIDE experience with a lot of interest and appreciation of this important feedback: “

FYI, some of us work in companies where our computers are not, must not and cannot be, connected to the internet. It's already tough enough installing some of your HAL libraries (the patches) while being offline, we do not need the additional hassle of a login system that does nothing useful anyway.

A tool has to be convenient. If my screwdriver required an internet connection so as to snitch on how many turns I do in each direction depending on my GPS location, I'd start considering switching to fingernails or rocks.”

I’m sorry  your non convenient experience usage of this feature to login to Internet and not providing Offline version of our Free of Charge IDE . We will study this feedback and add it in the Change Requests for future while discussing it with Wider internal audience ( Technical and non-Technical) .  Stay tuned and thank you again for such testimony.

Ciao

STOne-32

mattias norlander
ST Employee

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Personally I agree. Rest assured that this is a hot topic internally for the last few weeks.

Coming back to your specific technical issue with the "offline" use case. This should not be a problem.
The user can use the following workflow on an offline computer without having the new authentication blocking him:

1. Manually download the CubeFW packages from st.com
  2. Inside STM32CubeIDE use the menus:
    1. Help -> Manage embedded software packages
    2. STM32Cube MCU Packages -> From local...
  3. Point to the manually downloaded zip-file, accept the license and install it.

Works on my PC. Please have a try!

Regarding the flash bank swap issue, do you have some ticket reference I can use to follow-up on this case?

this new "login by force feature" is totally annoying.

yesterday i had to install new version of CubeIDE , to work with new H563-nucleo board.

i installed V13.1 and then select new project with H563 , select nucleo-144 board ...and then it could not download the needed Cube package , but asked for login to my.ST --- but i cannot login there !

so have cancel, look for the place to login (i am already logged in in the browser!!) so how to login again ?

then i found in IDE menu another "login" , so i try this too. ok, now logged in. hopefully...

i tried new project selection again, now can download, as it should....very annoying procedure.

but i could compile and flash / debug. seem ok so far, then close and shutdown.

then today, start IDE ( on this new workspace) and it cannot start - just "an error has occurred. see log file...metadata.log" . 

come on, what now?

and @STOne-32 , you emphasize the "Free of Charge IDE" -- but with all respect, honestly, with "features" like this nobody would pay for  such great entertainment.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Some place, somewhere in the past, I had to redo my password.  Not sure if it was me or them.  That might help.

Blame the marketing division, of any company.

DavidAlfa
Senior II
Authentication
Users familiar with STM32CubeMX will now notice that the software is requiring them to log in to their my.ST.com account before downloading a package. While users always had to enter their credentials when downloading a piece of software from ST.com, the new version slightly tweaks the experience so everything happens within the software for better cohesion. It’s still possible to use STM32CubeMX without an account. However, by asking for a login and password, like on the website itself but from the software, users enjoy a more cohesive experience.

Older IDE versions (ex. 1.6, 1.7) performed horribly, and now, when the IDE finally was getting good enough, yo implement this? Really?

Please take your "cohesive experience" away, it's a time consuming, annoying, useless step.
How in earth are you calling this "enjoyment". ?

I have an open source project where I used a CubeMX script to build the code automatically, compile and place the output file ready for programming.
It worked perfectly, the users didn't had to mess with the IDE, only install it and then run the script, it was that easy.

Now the login requirement ruined everything!

Piranha
Chief II

The enjoyable cohesive experience of datasheet downloads at NXP:

https://www.reddit.com/r/embedded/comments/15uoakm/this_is_why_i_never_give_my_real_info_to_these/

DavidAlfa
Senior II

Exactly.

Everyone is asking for personal data, then they screw up, I don't care if it was some evil hacker, the responsability was ultimately yours for storing my data, so you must take care for it.
But looking how their software still has years-long unresolved bugs, guess how the servers are.
Later your email/phone starts getting spammed and receiving strange calls from international numbers.
And your already complicated 15-char password mixing upper and lower case, symbols, numbers and unicorns, impossible to guess, was plainly revealed. Again change them all.
A post-**bleep**up "Sorry" is not enough.