cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't debug using ST-LINK V3 and STM32CubeIDE 1.6.1

lukasma
Associate III

Using STM32CubeIDE 1.6.1 and an ST-LINK V3, I'm trying to debug an application flashed onto an STM32H747I-DISCO board. The application/binary is built "outside" STM32CubeIDE from command line, and I can upload it to the board with STM32CubeProgrammer, which I have also downloaded separately to try out. Then, I try to import/create a new project in IDE, and import the binary as the executable file. When I click "Finish", a pop-up appears:

debug_warning.png

, which doesn't sound promising. And sure enough, when I try to set up the debug configurations, it looks like this:

debug_conf.png

What does "This debug configuration is associated to a target which is not promoting any debug device (or debug device not supported)" mean? I have searched for hour on similar topics, but can't seem to find a solution that fixes my issues. As I said, it seems that I can upload this binary with STM32CubeProgrammer, but of course, something might go wrong there and I just don't notice.

I can provide more details, but I guess this is a good starting point at least.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
lukasma
Associate III

I have transitioned to using openocd, and apparently, the custom built binary had some issues that was causing a lot of the problems. So, the conclusion is that the custom FW needs to be fixed first. So this topic can be closed

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Christian N
ST Employee

Hi Lukasma,

Thank you for contacting STMicroelectronics. Your inquiry is being escalated for specialized support.

Kind Regards,

Christian

ST Support

lukasma
Associate III

I have transitioned to using openocd, and apparently, the custom built binary had some issues that was causing a lot of the problems. So, the conclusion is that the custom FW needs to be fixed first. So this topic can be closed