cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Achieving USB PD Communication via Bit Banging on STM32L562CET6

Sankar_Eswaran
Associate

Hello STM32 Community,

I am currently working on a USB Power Delivery (USB PD) project using an STM32L562CET6 microcontroller, where I successfully vary the output voltages and currents (5V 3A, 9V 3A, 12V 3A, 15V 3A, and 20V 5A) in SPR (Standard Power Range) Mode using the provided usbpd_pwr_if.c code.

I am exploring the possibility of achieving the same functionality using a bit-banging method. Specifically, my goal is to configure the CC lines as GPIO in analog mode and generate the SPR signal pattern manually. I understand that USB PD communication involves precise timing and voltage levels, and I would like to confirm whether this approach is feasible with an STM32L562CET6 microcontroller.

My Questions:
1. Is it technically possible to achieve reliable USB PD communication using bit banging on an STM32L562CET6 microcontroller?
2. What are the key challenges and limitations associated with this approach?
3. Are there any specific STM32L562CET6 features or peripherals that could assist in achieving precise timing and voltage level control for USB PD signals via bit banging?
4. Has anyone in the community successfully implemented a similar approach, and if so, could you share your insights or experiences?
Any guidance, suggestions, or references to relevant documentation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Sankar Eswaran

0 REPLIES 0