cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rust IDE?

simonemansueti
Associate II

Hi,

Is there an environment that allows me to compile Rust code for STM32 just like STM32CubeIDE allows me to compile C code? Or is it currently only possible to use the command line?
Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
SMarie
Associate III

Hi,
A reaaly common solution is the extension " rust analyser " of VS Code. For compilation you can use a cargo run in cmd.
If it's for a personal use, you also can use RustRover from JetBrain (but if it's for commercial purpose, you'd need to purchase a license).

I think the best is to see by yourself the solutions proposed by the community : https://www.rust-lang.org/tools .

Hope it will help you.

simonemansueti
Associate II

Thank you!
However, maybe I didn't express myself well. I would like to understand if there is an IDE that allows me to debug and compile Rust code for STM32 without ever using the prompt, just like with STM32CubeIde and the C language. I have seen online that JetBrains offers CLion and RustRover, but RustRover requires the prompt while CLion does not. Additionally, I have seen that it is possible to install a plugin directly on STM32CubeIde that allows me to debug and compile with Rust. Can you tell me more about this? Thank you very much.

Well if you want to stick to STM32CubeIDE, there is a Rust IDE made by Eclipse : Rust Corrosion. Since CubeIDE is base on the Eclipse framework, you can install Corrosion from the market place: Help > Eclipse Marketplace...

SMarie_0-1721033079668.png

Then search "rust" and install it:

SMarie_1-1721033255116.png

I've never used it but it looks like you can build and debug with it.

I let you try it out and see if it works for you.

I'd be interested in a feedback.

Thank you very very much, as soon as i have installed and tested it, i'll give you feedback.

Also with VS code, along with rust-analyzer extension, there is also "debugger for probe-rs" extension that allows to debug Rust applications on STM32. You need to install probe-rs tools. There are still some config files to edit manually but it is mostly GUI operation.

Thank you! I'll give it a try.

SMarie
Associate III

Did it work out for you as you expected?
If so could you mark this topic as solved?