cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHY DDR PINS OF DISCO BOARDS and EVAL BOARDS ARE DIFFERENT

Gencay
Associate III

0693W00000SuMa5QAF.png0693W00000SuMZvQAN.pngI was analyzing stm32mp15 disco and eval board schematics for my project. I noticed that DDR pinning are not the same between them. Disco boards have 512MB and EVAL boards have 2x512MB. My project also going to have two variants. I wanted to know why pinouts of these two schematics are different and can I use same pcb for both of my variants with one 1x512 and other with 2x512. (1x512 will have two locations on the pcb but only one chip. Is it possible?)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi @Gencay​ ,

When you talk about difference, I think you are pointing bit swapping within bytes or byte swapping, right ?

On DDR3/DDR3L, this is allowed to optimize routing. See AN5122 for more details.

Note that DK2 and EV1 boards uses different STM32MP15 package, so best routing is not identical.

You could build a PCB with 2xDDR3L 16-bits and only populate one on DQ0-DQ15. This is possible.

Nevertheless, when using 2 x DDR3L, the use of fly-by and Address/command termination resistors to VTT voltage is mandatory, even if you only populate one of the two memory on your PCB. See AN5122 for more details.

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Select as Best' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. See also 'Best Answers'

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi @Gencay​ ,

When you talk about difference, I think you are pointing bit swapping within bytes or byte swapping, right ?

On DDR3/DDR3L, this is allowed to optimize routing. See AN5122 for more details.

Note that DK2 and EV1 boards uses different STM32MP15 package, so best routing is not identical.

You could build a PCB with 2xDDR3L 16-bits and only populate one on DQ0-DQ15. This is possible.

Nevertheless, when using 2 x DDR3L, the use of fly-by and Address/command termination resistors to VTT voltage is mandatory, even if you only populate one of the two memory on your PCB. See AN5122 for more details.

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Select as Best' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. See also 'Best Answers'

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Gencay
Associate III

So I believe this is okay then?0693W00000SuVUuQAN.png

PatrickF
ST Employee

Yes, this is ok.

Regards.