cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32MP157xx DDR accessing for the for the core 1

srikanth
Associate III

Hi ,

We are using the STM32MP157-dk1 board. We are able to boot the both cores (cortex A7) bare metal code from the SRAM but where as loading to the DDR that time only core 0 is booting properly and core 1 not booting. Is their any way to enable the DDR accessing to core1(second A7).

6 REPLIES 6
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi,

As far as I know, there is no specific setting related to core1. Maybe the default MMU setting avoid it (for security purposes, BootROM likely strongly limit Cortex-A access regions during boot).

I will check with expert.

Did you start second core as listed in https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/STM32MP15_ROM_code_overview#Secondary_core_boot ?

I think you should try starting second core with BRANCH_ADDRESS pointing internal SYSRAM code (e.g. to check if core#1 really start but also to allows, if needed, to setup correctly the second core MMU before accessing DDR).

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
srikanth
Associate III

Thank you for the reply. I am following the below procedure, by this second core is running properly .

• write jump address into BRANCH_ADDRESS backup register.
  • write 0xCA7FACE1 value into MAGIC_NUMBER backup register.
  • generate an SGI interrupt to core1
  • I am printing string in the core 1 its working fine.
  • I didn't enabled the MMU in the core 0 also.

Thank you for the reply. I am following the below procedure, by this second core is running properly .

• write jump address into BRANCH_ADDRESS backup register.
  • write 0xCA7FACE1 value into MAGIC_NUMBER backup register.
  • generate an SGI interrupt to core1
  • I am printing string in the core 1 its working fine.
  • I didn't enabled the MMU in the core 0 also.

Hi,

I got confirmation from expert that the BootROM allows BRANCH_ADDRESS to DDR range.

Maybe some clues

• If your code is compiled in Thumb, ensure you provided an odd address for the branch
  • Try to put a core#1 test code in SYSRAM instead of DDR
  • Try to make a more basic stuff than printing string on UART, e.g. check if a simple shared memory write occurs or a GPIO toggling
  • Try setting a breakpoint on you own code in core#1 with your debugger (don't know if it is possible due to security concerns)

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
srikanth
Associate III

Hi,

I had tried in SRAM both the cores are working fine . When i am placing the code in DDR , when i am trying to run the code in situation core 1 is working fine but core 2 is not triggering. for this what may be the region.

Hi, I see no specific HW settings which should avoid 2nd core to access DDR.

Maybe have a look on how uBoot is starting 2nd core, e.g. https://github.com/ni/u-boot/blob/master/arch/arm/mach-stm32mp/psci.c#L119

You might need to debug/trace the 2nd core.

If the start or 2nd core in SYSRAM is ok, maybe check from this point if access/jump from SYSRAM to DDR is possible.

Regards.