cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32MP157c changing pll4q clock speed problem!

aliMesut
Associate III

Hello,

I am working stm32mp157c. I'm trying to change the clock rate of stmcubeide using pll4q for spi45 (StmCubeIde outputs are attached.). Also The bsp setting is attached .

Pll settigs is;

st,pll@3 {

reg = <3>;

cfg = <1 32 5 66 5 PQR(0,1,0)>;

frac = <0x1000>;

};

I see the clocks are set correctly except pll4q (in linux "cat /sys/kernel/debug/clk/clk_summary" command).

It turns out 25.125Mhz when it should be 6MHz (linux outputs are attached).

I measure the pll4q clock with oscilloscope. Same as the value i see in "cat /sys/kernel/debug/clk/clk_summary" (not 6MHz, it is 25.125Mhz).

Where do you think the problem might be?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @aliMesut​ ,

I got the explanation of the bad behavior of DIV4Q.

This is linked to display driver (LTDC) which could change DIV4Q depending on the pixel clock requirements (statically or at run time).

So, solution is either :

• to disable the LTDC in both U-Boot and kernel (if you don't use neither LTDC nor DSI)
  • move SPI45 clock to another source than PLL4Q (could be PCLK2, HSI, CSI or HSE)
  • use another SPI instance than SPI4 or SPI5 which allow to use one of PLL4P, PLL3Q or PLL3R.

We will take action to clarify this behavior in the wiki.

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Select as Best' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. See also 'Best Answers'

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TDK
Guru

I've changed the tag from STM32 MCUs to STM32 MPUs.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi,

sound your effective value for DIVQ is 15 (divide by 16) instead of 66 (divide by 67). 402/16 = 25.125 MHz.

Any chance there is somewhere in your DT an entry which override the 66 value by 15 ?

Please confirm the PLL4 is running at 402MHz :

cat /sys/kernel/debug/clk/clk_summary | grep pll4 -A 20 -m 1

Then need to confirm the effective DIVQ value (need to install devmem2 using "apt-get update" then "apt-get install devmem2")

Read RCC_PLL4CFGR2, DIVQ is on bits 14-8

devmem2 0x5000089C W

if ok check other PLL settings (RCC_PLL4CR, RCC_PLL4CFGR1, RCC_PLL4FRACR

devmem2 0x50000894 W
devmem2 0x50000898 W
devmem2 0x500008A0 W

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
aliMesut
Associate III

Hi @PatrickF​ ,

Previously, I changed the settings as follows;

st,pll@3 {

reg = <3>;

cfg = <1 39 5 79 5 PQR(0,1,0)>;

};

In this case, pll4 vco becomes 480mhz (i checked cat /sys/kernel/debug/clk/clk_summary | grep pll4 -A 20 -m 1 command). pll4q should be 6 mhz but it is 24 mhz.

1. devmem2 0x5000089C W -> read value is 0x00051305
  2. devmem2 0x50000894 W -> read value is 0x00000023
  3. devmem2 0x50000898 W -> read value is 0x01010027
  4. devmem2 0x500008A0 W -> read value is 0x00010000

But I did not understand what conclusion to draw from these data.

Regards.

Hi,

I have reproduced on my side and escalated to development team.

I will try to come back to you asap.

As there is divider inside SPI, there is usually no need of such high division factor in PLL.

Meanwhile, may I suggest to use an higher pll4q frequency and divide the clock inside SPI (or other related peripherals) ?

Regards.

Hi @aliMesut​ ,

I got the explanation of the bad behavior of DIV4Q.

This is linked to display driver (LTDC) which could change DIV4Q depending on the pixel clock requirements (statically or at run time).

So, solution is either :

• to disable the LTDC in both U-Boot and kernel (if you don't use neither LTDC nor DSI)
  • move SPI45 clock to another source than PLL4Q (could be PCLK2, HSI, CSI or HSE)
  • use another SPI instance than SPI4 or SPI5 which allow to use one of PLL4P, PLL3Q or PLL3R.

We will take action to clarify this behavior in the wiki.

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Select as Best' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. See also 'Best Answers'

aliMesut
Associate III

Hi @PatrickF​ ,

• I disabled ltdc in kernel and uboot but the problem is not solved.
  • I want to change the clock of spi4 while the code is running. Clocks other than PLL4Q are connected to other peripherals.That's why I can't get other clocks.
  • I will change x in next revision.

But I couldn't understand why it didn't happen when I disabled ltdc and dsi from the kernel.

Regards.