cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On VMWare's Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, the STM32 program tool is not associated with the STM32MP157D evaluation board.

kKim.1
Associate II

Hello, teachers.

First, The board I am using is the STM32MP157D evaluation board.

I checked the article that the starter package can be installed in Windowsos, but the developer package and the distribution package are only available in the Linux environment.

In addition, Ubuntu 18.04 was installed on VMware as Ubuntu 20.04 LTS because it may not be compatible. 

I installed the virtual environment and the STM32Cubeprogrammer Tool, and I tried to connect with virtual Linux by booting the board in USB mode, but the STM32 tool on Linux cannot find it.

By installing another USB device on the PC, we confirmed that the USB driver works normally. 

The STM32Cubeprogrammer version is seen as API v2.12.0 | Linux-64bits.

How can I connect to the STM32MP157D-EV1 board and USB in a VMWare Linux environment (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS)? Please give me a hint.

3 REPLIES 3
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @kKim.1​,

From your question I understand you might be at this step of the Getting Started :

Populate the target and boot the image - stm32mpu

Which USB port of EV1 board do you connect to PCs ?

You might use USB_OTG port from mother board CN16 and all boot pin to 0 ( USB boot mode)

"In addition, Ubuntu 18.04 was installed on VMware as Ubuntu 20.04 LTS because it may not be compatible. "

Please refer to https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/PC_prerequisites

Ubuntu 20.04LTS is the recommended one.

Hope it help,

If those hint does not unlock you please provide screen shot or logs.

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hello. @Community member​ 

Thank you for your response.

I use the USB port of CN16's USB_OTG port. This port has been used to verify that it is connected in Windows OS. And I checked that VMWare-Ubuntu 20.04 is not connecting.

I am attaching a picture of the used USB port and boot mode.

0693W00000Y9t92QAB.jpg0693W00000Y9t8xQAB.jpg----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I checked your answer and the information on the site once again.

I think it is not installing an additional developer package (SDK + source code) on the board where the starter package is installed, but during the starter package or developer package or distribution package (Yocto), is it correct?

Then, is there no way to install Ubuntu 20.04 on the EV1 board? Even if you use a different boot mode.

I need the Ubuntu OS to run the sources I ran on Raspbian.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the order of installing the developer package (SDK + source code) on the EV1 board is as follows, is that right?

1. Delete the starter package currently installed on the EV1 board

2. Install Developer Package or Distribution Package (Yocto) on EV1 Board using VMWare-Ubuntu 20.04

How should Ubuntu 20.04 then be installed on the EV1 board?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @kKim.1​ ,

There's no way to install Ubuntu 20.04 on EV1 board, simply because STM32MP15 is not designed to support such a big OS in term of CPU performance and memory budget.

>> I need the Ubuntu OS to run the sources I ran on Raspbian.

This is not possible as such but you might probably find equivalent SW framework you use on Raspberry available in Yocto OpenEmbedded community that can then be smoothly integrated in OpenSTLinux

Can you elaborate application you want to port from Raspberry to EV1 ?

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.