cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation and operation of the package on the 'STM32MP157X-Evaluation Board'

kKim.1
Associate II

Hello, teachers.

I'm sorry in advance because I think I'll be talking too long.

The board I use is STM32MP157D-EV1 (evaluation board).

From the previous question and answer, I found that Ubuntu 18.04 and SDK could not be installed on my board, which had a starter package installed through Windows OS.

I also knew that Linux, Ubuntu (22.04 or 20.04) OS (64bit) is required to install a developer package or distribution package.

So I installed Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on VMWare and even installed the STM32CubeProgrammer program. (Although VMWare-Ubuntu and STM32 evaluation board are not connected yet, I think we can find and connect various information such as environmental variables. But if it doesn't work, I'll have a headache.)

Next, here's my situation.

I need to install Ubuntu OS and SDK on the board I use for comfortable test construction. 

From what I heard from the source code developer, the version doesn't matter. Only Ubuntu OS is required. 

They said that cross-compilation is not necessary, and that it will only work with the Ubuntu OS installed on the board.

The source code to be tested has already been developed and confirmed to be running on the Rapbian OS. 

Finally, what I'm curious about is as follows.

1. As mentioned above, can Ubuntu OS and SDK be installed on the STM32MP157D-EV1 board?

2. As mentioned above, if I installed Ubuntu OS and SDK on the EV1 board, can I download the source code that I already developed using only the Ubuntu OS on the board, build a build, and test the behavior?

3. Where can I see the pin-map of the STM32MP157D-EV1 board?

4. I'm not sure if the STM32MP157D-EV1 board is MCU or MPU.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @kKim.1​ ,

This post looks similar to

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W000026d8kDSAQ/on-vmwares-ubuntu-2004-lts-the-stm32-program-tool-is-not-associated-with-the-stm32mp157d-evaluation-board

1. As mentioned above, can Ubuntu OS and SDK be installed on the STM32MP157D-EV1 board?

No they can't. Ubuntu OS is a too big OS to be supported by STM32MP157D-EV1 for performance and memory point of view

For this reason there's no Ubuntu version ported to this platform available.

SDK is dedicated for cross-compilation from a Host PC.

2. As mentioned above, if I installed Ubuntu OS and SDK on the EV1 board, can I download the source code that I already developed using only the Ubuntu OS on the board, build a build, and test the behavior?

No

refer to wiki page :

STM32MP157x-EV1 - hardware description - stm32mpu

and st.com :

https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/stm32mp157d-ev1.html

Schematics are in "CAD resources"

STM32MP157D is an MPU.

STM32MP157D - MPU with Arm Dual Cortex-A7 800 MHz, Arm Cortex-M4 real-time coprocessor, 3D GPU, TFT/MIPI DSI displays, FD-CAN - STMicroelectronics

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Select as Best' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. See also 'Best Answers'

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @kKim.1​ ,

This post looks similar to

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W000026d8kDSAQ/on-vmwares-ubuntu-2004-lts-the-stm32-program-tool-is-not-associated-with-the-stm32mp157d-evaluation-board

No they can't. Ubuntu OS is a too big OS to be supported by STM32MP157D-EV1 for performance and memory point of view

For this reason there's no Ubuntu version ported to this platform available.

SDK is dedicated for cross-compilation from a Host PC.

No

refer to wiki page :

STM32MP157x-EV1 - hardware description - stm32mpu

and st.com :

https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/stm32mp157d-ev1.html

Schematics are in "CAD resources"

STM32MP157D is an MPU.

STM32MP157D - MPU with Arm Dual Cortex-A7 800 MHz, Arm Cortex-M4 real-time coprocessor, 3D GPU, TFT/MIPI DSI displays, FD-CAN - STMicroelectronics

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Select as Best' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. See also 'Best Answers'

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.