cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my stm32mp157c-dk2 board bricked?

darla14
Senior

Hello,

I don't know what happened but suddenly on putting the board in boot mode( boot switches ON) , I cant detect the board on the stm32cube programmer and I see a green led ( PWR_IN) continuously blinking!

attached is the image.

Please assist.

Br,

D

4 REPLIES 4
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi,

LD2 is 5V presence, so, if blinking, it is likely the current limitation inside your USB Type-C supply (I assume blinking rate is very slow).

Did you try another USB Type-C supply/cable ?

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

@PatrickF​ Thanks for the reply, Yes I did try another C type USB as well as the USB PD adapter. But same response.

Is there any IC that I have blown up and which could be causing this?

Please advice.

I have access to lab where I have soldering accessories.

Br,

D

>>Is there any IC that I have blown up and which could be causing this?

Could be any of a number of parts.

Could you have causes an ESD event when you fiddled with the switches?

Placed the board on a conductive surface?

Pull a schematic and start double checking supply rails, etc.

What if you remove the SD card?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Hi,

@Community member​ already give you a good answer.

I noted that you stated 'I cant detect the board on the stm32cube programmer'. Is it by using USB DFU on CN7 or ST-Link on CN11 ?

What is the green led blinking rate and ratio (i.e. time ON and time OFF) ?

According to board schematics, here is some investigation clues:

• Remove all connections to external (if any), including SD-Card and display flex
  • If green LED is toggling, this mean there is no strong shortcut on the input. Check if there is some component heating.
  • If you have access to a lab 5V supply with programmable current limitation, use it to supply the board (e.g. thru 5V Arduino or GPIO connector , without connection on CN6) with a current limitation set to a low value (e.g. start at 100mA, then increase to 500mA max). check again for heat somewhere (thermal camera is extremely helpful, but a finger might be enough).
  • Could you measure the 5V voltage curve on R47 or R41 with an oscilloscope ?
  • Try removing U16
  • Is connecting a PC to the ST-Link CN11 (without ant other supply on the board) make LD4 ON ?

Development boards have no enclosure, so they are extremely sensible to shortcuts with e.g. metal touching components. ESD could be an issue, but there is usually enough protection.

Anyway, STM32MP157x-DK2 boards seems robust, in ST we use plenty of them without cautious and I did not ear about such bricking.

Regards

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.