cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to run TouchGfx on the STM32MP1?

C. Spies
Associate

Is it possible to run touchgfx on the STM32MP1?

TouchGfx can be run on the STM32F4 with the M4 core. Is this also possible on the M4 core of the MP1?

Is there any support from ST or has anyone already implemented this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Romain DIELEMAN
ST Employee

Hi,

It is not currently possible to run TouchGFX for MP1. It is MCU centered. It is in our roadmap to adapt it but I definitely have no clue when this will be released. I can recommend QT in the meantime.

/Romain

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Romain DIELEMAN
ST Employee

Hi,

It is not currently possible to run TouchGFX for MP1. It is MCU centered. It is in our roadmap to adapt it but I definitely have no clue when this will be released. I can recommend QT in the meantime.

/Romain

PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi @C. Spies​ 

In our STM32MP15 ecosystem deliveries, LTDC cannot be assigned to Cortex-M4. There is no LTDC HAL library provided. Rationale is that frame buffer will reside in DDR and Cortex-M4 access to DDR is not optimized/recommended.

Cortex-M4 resources are size constrained and tailored for Linux coprocessing (whole Cortex

-M4 code+data have to fit in 448KBytes).

Some customers might have a secondary display on Cortex-M4, but usually very small size with relatively slow interface (e.g. I2C, SPI).

On a Linux system, it sound more logical and easy to run GUI on Linux.

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
C. Spies
Associate

Hi,

Thank you for your answers.

@Romain: Is there a rough timetable or roadmap for when something like this could be implemented? TouchGFX is a great framework that we also use in other commercial products. Using it on the MP1 would be a real benefit for the embedded software community. It would be even better if the source code was available as open source (like LVGL).

@Patrick: Of course you can use Linux e.g. with QT. But for that you have to master Linux as a system and additionally make the financial effort to use QT in commercial, safety-critical products. We have been working with STM products for years and use uc/OS and TouchGFX for our safety critical systems. Thank you for the technical explanation of the issue. Then we don't need any further information in this direction. Too bad.

Chris

Hi,

None I can share for this sorry.

/Romain