cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does STM32 MP157D-DK1 support DAC

meme002
Associate II

I am trying to interface DAC for the STM32 MP157D-DK1 board I have. I am just curious does the board even support DAC. I dont see any mention of that in the datasheet.

That is the only option that I can select when I do DAC Enable for M4 Cube in cube programmer. In NVIC settings only option is EXTI line 9 interrupt available for me to select.

Screenshot from 2024-04-16 10-12-25.png

5 REPLIES 5
DBELL.1
ST Employee

Hello @meme002 ,

The STM32MP157D-DK1 doesn't support DAC.
no mention of DAC here:
STM32MP157D-DK1 - Discovery kit with STM32MP157D MPU - STMicroelectronics

But there are 2 DACs in the product which can be configured with cubeMX as you mention.

rgds,
David

Yes that whats got me confused, cubeMX provided DAC option (whereas the document doesn't mention any DAC support on any of the pins).

The two DACs that are supported are connected to the power usb for that board anyway (which I dont want to mess). Anyway thanks for your insight, ill probably use SPI DAC chip to get started for my application.

Thanks,

PatrickF
ST Employee

HI @meme002 

unfortunately, DAC pins are already used for another purpose on STM32MP157F-DK2 board.

On the field, we rarely see embedded DAC used, this is why it was not part of DK2 board definition tradeoff.

'analog' output are now usually more done using timers (e.g. motor control, backlight, charging) or external components (e,g, audio codec).

DAC pins are available thru headers on the STM32MP157F-EV1 board.

Depending on your application with DAC, there is audio codec available on STM32MP157F-DK2 board which could output two analog signals on jack connector (but obviously limited to audio frequency range and probably not easy level management)

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

my frequency range is about 100 Hz(refresh rate).  Just took a look at existing https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/Soundcard_configuration. Look like there is more management to be done. do you suggest SPI external DAC for my application. The only reason I am interested in your idea of using audio jack as dac is I dont need extra components.

What do you suggest @PatrickF 

Hi,

hard to recommend choices for your applications.

For evaluation purposes, you could also remove R46 and R49 on STM32MP157F-DK2 and add tiny wires on it.
Then you could disable ADC usages on PA4 and PA5 pins inside the Device Tree (only used for USB-C supply capabilities detection, could be skipped)

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.