cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPI Configuration issue

RBorr.1
Associate

Hi,

I am working on a project where the hardware platform is based on STM32MP157c and the OS is Linux 4.19.9 .

I am facing on a issue about device tree spi configuration.

Following SPI_overview on wiki.st.com kernel config has been modified with:

CONFIG_SPI=y

CONFIG_SPI_MASTER=y

CONFIG_SPI_STM32=y

CONFIG_SPI_SPIDEV=y

while dts file has been modified adding spi2 DT configuration:

&spi2{

pinctrl-names = "default", "sleep";

pinctrl-0 = <&spi2_pins_mx>;

pinctrl-1 = <&spi2_sleep_pins_mx>;

cs-gpios = <&gpioi 0 0>;

status = "okay";

/* USER CODE BEGIN spi2 */

spidev@0x00 {

compatible = "spidev";

#address-cells = <1>;

#size-cells = <0>;

reg = <0>; /* CS #0 */

spi-max-frequency = <10000000>;

};

/* USER CODE END spi2 */

};

When the system goes up on /dev "spi" is not present and the dmesg reports the following error:

[ 1.782858] spi_stm32 4000b000.spi: clk rate = 0

[ 1.786353] spi_stm32: probe of 4000b000.spi failed with error -22

Attached config and dts files

Kind Regards

Renato

3 REPLIES 3
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hello,

did you configure the SPI kernel clock source in RCC ?

You could try to build a dummy project using CubeMx and retrofit the right portions in your Device Tree files (likely TF-A ones)

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
RBorr.1
Associate

Hi Patrick,

after the changes on RCC on TF-A dbs file, as suggested, the spi is now available.

Thanks a lot

Best Regards

Renato

Hello,

I was trying to solve the same issue as the author described during the whole last week

I remember having checked RCC configuration and SPI (spi5 I use) was configured as it should. However after reading your post I checked again, and found something weird on my tf-a dts file: even though it had a first definition of RCC with spi5 configured, at the end of my file in section "user code addons" there was a redefinition of RCC config with spi5 not configured. I removed this redefinition and the issue resolved. I don't understand why CubeMX put it there but removing it fixed my problem.

I uploaded this dts file so you may see it yourself, because I think this may be a CubeMX bug.