cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GCC_PLUGINS Kconfig selection problem on longer paths

Mischo5500
Associate II

Hi,

I have custom board running 5.15.24 OpenSTLinux on STM32MP157F based board.

Problem is, when I try to select CONFIG_GCC_PLUGINS. It depends on

depends on $(success,test -e $(shell,$(CC) -print-file-name=plugin)/include/plugin-version.h)

in file

scripts\gcc-plugins\Kconfig

I just can't select it, because evaluation of the conditions is always negative.

I have traced the CC binary and when I run -print-file-name manually on it, plugin-version.h exist on the path.

Problem seems to be with

$(shell

call, which on ST port of Linux always crops output to 256 characters (which results in non existent path, because it points deeply into Yocto build folders)!

I have tried it with

$(shell,echo

and it results in same cropping.

When I try the same thing on my i.MX repository from NXP, output is correct and I can select CONFIG_GCC_PLUGINS correctly.

Any ideas for what is going on?

Thanks in advance,

Michal Spanik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bernard PUEL
ST Employee

Investigations done.

The issue comes from an incompatibility between GCC in Yocto SDK and the Kernel "CONFIG_GCC_PLUGINS".

So if you use directly the Yocto distribution, you won't get the issue.

The issue is corrected after kirkstone yocto branch but not yet delivered, so we will backport the patch inside ST kirkstone Yocto delivery and then also part of v4.1.1 OpenSTLinux delivery.

So customers will need to regenerate the SDK from the Distribution to get this correction or to keep "CONFIG_GCC_PLUGINS" is not set from current delivery.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @Michal Špánik​ ,

Thanks to spot this and your analyze !

I enter an internal ticket BZ143766 to trig our expert on this issue.

I will keep you posted.

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Bernard PUEL
ST Employee

Hello,

I see 2 issues:

Then you should be able to activate this config (hopefully).

Bernard PUEL
ST Employee

Hello Michal,

I complete the status with bad news.

This config still brings errors in ST kernel and the workaround (to desactivate it by default) moved from recipe on V4.0 to KErnel fragment on V4.1 like below:

0022-v5.15-stm32mp-r2-CONFIG.patch:+# CONFIG_GCC_PLUGINS is not set

fragment-04-modules.config:# CONFIG_GCC_PLUGINS is not set

Investigations are still ongoing ....

Bernard PUEL
ST Employee

Investigations done.

The issue comes from an incompatibility between GCC in Yocto SDK and the Kernel "CONFIG_GCC_PLUGINS".

So if you use directly the Yocto distribution, you won't get the issue.

The issue is corrected after kirkstone yocto branch but not yet delivered, so we will backport the patch inside ST kirkstone Yocto delivery and then also part of v4.1.1 OpenSTLinux delivery.

So customers will need to regenerate the SDK from the Distribution to get this correction or to keep "CONFIG_GCC_PLUGINS" is not set from current delivery.

Mischo5500
Associate II

Thank you very much for investigation and info, I will try it after release.

I have patched KConfig file to remove the "depends on" condition until then (file is there, so it should be safe).

Michal Spanik