cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Peer to Peer communication w/o user intervention pairing

gaurav
Associate

I'm trying to find out the wireless technology that I can use for peer to peer communication. The main requirement is to have good data transfer speed (at least 500kps or more), pairing process should be without user intervention and the devices will be in close proximity during the communication, probably <15cm.
I have evaluated UWB but it seems packet loss could be an issue there. IR is out as well due to speed and longevity. Do you think active NFC will fit into my need?
I understand that BLE and WiFi Direct could be another option but those will demand another technology for without user intervention pairing. Any thoughts are highly appreciated?

3 REPLIES 3
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

BLE doesn't require pairing - you can have the Central just connect as soon as it sees the advertising from your device.

Maybe some proprietary 2.4GHz ?

gaurav
Associate

Thank you for your response Andrew!

There could be multiple peripheral devices in vicinity, central device need to know which one to communicate. So even with Just Work pairing you will still need some human intervention for selecting the right peripheral or need to rely on other tech like NFC or something else, which is not desired. 

Can you please shed some more light on proprietary 2.4GHz?

@gaurav wrote:

There could be multiple peripheral devices in vicinity, central device need to know which one to communicate.

Of course: that's fundamental - irrespective of what comms protocol you use!

Unless you just have it connect to every valid device it can "see" - which is what NFC does.

@gaurav wrote:

Can you please shed some more light on proprietary 2.4GHz?

AndrewNeil_0-1715938054581.png

"Proprietary" means you can make up anything you like from scratch!

The possibilities are endless!