cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is a STM32WB55-based ZigBee APS coordinator kicking out my router after 15 seconds?

m4l490n
Associate III

I'm working on a project using the STM32WB55 Nucleo Board with the Zigbee_APS_Coord example. I need this specific example because my application communicates at the APS level and doesn't use ZCL.

My application also requires a custom encryption key, and we don't use or support install codes. The system works by having the coordinator create a network with a known, configurable extended PAN ID, to which all router devices (no end devices, only routers) connect. Communication is then established using the custom encryption key.

I’m providing this background because I’m unsure if I’m misconfiguring the Zigbee_APS_Coord example for my coordinator. My goal is to allow my existing non-STM32 routers to connect to the STM32WB55 Nucleo Board acting as a coordinator. If anyone has insights or can point out potential issues, I'd appreciate the help.

FWIW, the routers already connect and work perfectly fine with my existing non-STM32 coordinator. I'm just trying to substitute the non-STM32 coordinator with an STM32WB55-based one.

I have only made these changes to the original example.

FIRST

I'm calling ZbChangeExtAddr in APP_ZIGBEE_StackLayersInit to configure my custom EPID:

/**
 * @brief  Initialize Zigbee stack layers
 *   None
 * @retval None
 */
static void APP_ZIGBEE_StackLayersInit(void)
{
    APP_DBG("APP_ZIGBEE_StackLayersInit");

zigbee_app_info.zb = ZbInit(0U, NULL, NULL);
    assert(zigbee_app_info.zb != NULL);

/********************* Configure Custon EPID *******************/
    ZbChangeExtAddr(zigbee_app_info.zb, ZIGBEE_DEFAULT_EPID);

/* Create the endpoint and cluster(s) */
    APP_ZIGBEE_ConfigEndpoints();

BSP_LED_Off(LED_RED);
    BSP_LED_Off(LED_GREEN);
    BSP_LED_Off(LED_BLUE);

/* Configure the joining parameters */
    zigbee_app_info.join_status = (enum ZbStatusCodeT)0x01; /* init to error status */
    zigbee_app_info.join_delay = HAL_GetTick(); /* now */

/* Initialization Complete */
    zigbee_app_info.has_init = true;

/* run the task */
    UTIL_SEQ_SetTask(1U << CFG_TASK_ZIGBEE_NETWORK_FORM, CFG_SCH_PRIO_0);
} /* APP_ZIGBEE_StackLayersInit */

SECOND

I added code to get and print the EPID to verify that the network is using it and I changed this line memcpy(config.security.preconfiguredLinkKey, sec_key_ha, ZB_SEC_KEYSIZE); to memcpy(config.security.preconfiguredLinkKey, sec_key, ZB_SEC_KEYSIZE); so the code uses my custom key instead of the one it came with the original project. I did this in the APP_ZIGBEE_NwkForm function:

/**
 * @brief  Handle Zigbee network forming and joining
 *   None
 * @retval None
 */
static void APP_ZIGBEE_NwkForm(void)
{
    if ((zigbee_app_info.join_status != ZB_STATUS_SUCCESS) && (HAL_GetTick() >= zigbee_app_info.join_delay))
    {
        struct ZbStartupT config;
        enum ZbStatusCodeT status;

/* Configure Zigbee Logging (only need to do this once, but this is a good place to put it) */
        ZbSetLogging(zigbee_app_info.zb, ZB_LOG_MASK_LEVEL_5, NULL);

/* Attempt to join a zigbee network */
        ZbStartupConfigGetProDefaults(&config);

/* Set the centralized network */
        APP_DBG("Network config : \e[93mAPP_STARTUP_CENTRALIZED_COORD\e[0m");
        config.startupControl = ZbStartTypeForm;

/******************************* Verify EPID ********************************/
        zigbee_uint64_t local_epid;
        local_epid.val = ZbExtendedAddress(zigbee_app_info.zb);
        char epid_string[EUI64_SIZE * 3 + 1] = {0};
        for (int i = 0; i < EUI64_SIZE; i++)
        {
            sprintf(&epid_string[i * 3], "%02X ", local_epid.arr[EUI64_SIZE - 1 - i]);
        }
        APP_DBG("EPID: \e[93m%s\e[0m", epid_string);

/******************************* Using custom key ********************************/
        memcpy(config.security.preconfiguredLinkKey, sec_key, ZB_SEC_KEYSIZE);

config.channelList.count = 1;
        config.channelList.list[0].page = 0;
        config.channelList.list[0].channelMask = 1 << CHANNEL; /*Channel in use */

/* Using ZbStartupWait (blocking) here instead of ZbStartup, in order to demonstrate how to do
         * a blocking call on the M4. */
        status = ZbStartupWait(zigbee_app_info.zb, &config);

APP_DBG("ZbStartup Callback (status = 0x%02x)", status);
        zigbee_app_info.join_status = status;

if (status == ZB_STATUS_SUCCESS)
        {
            zigbee_app_info.join_delay = 0U;
            BSP_LED_On(LED_GREEN);
        }
        else
        {
            APP_DBG("Startup failed, re-attempting to form a network after a short delay (%d ms)",
                    APP_ZIGBEE_STARTUP_FAIL_DELAY);
            zigbee_app_info.join_delay = HAL_GetTick() + APP_ZIGBEE_STARTUP_FAIL_DELAY;
        }
    }

/* If Network forming/joining was not successful reschedule the current task to retry the process */
    if (zigbee_app_info.join_status != ZB_STATUS_SUCCESS)
    {
        UTIL_SEQ_SetTask(1U << CFG_TASK_ZIGBEE_NETWORK_FORM, CFG_SCH_PRIO_0);
    }
    else
    {
        /* Starting application init task */
        UTIL_SEQ_SetTask(1U << CFG_TASK_ZIGBEE_APP_START, CFG_SCH_PRIO_0);
    }
} /* APP_ZIGBEE_NwkForm */

I compile and flash the code and I can see this in the terminal:

m4l490n_0-1729285009752.png

Which confirms the use of my Extended PAN ID.

Then, after some seconds, my router seems to be connecting perfectly fine but it is kicked out after 15 seconds. Then it connects again only to be kicked out again and so on.

m4l490n_2-1729285330664.png

What is going on? What am I missing?

_________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT:

Once I configured the correct cluster and profile I was able to see the packet my router was sending upon connection. So the encryption key and network joining in general are working well, my only problem is that the coordinator is still kicking out the router after 15 seconds and I have no idea why.

m4l490n_0-1729293890931.png

0 REPLIES 0