cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the purpose of the capacitor used in series with the TCXO output pin?

AZube.2
Associate III

Hello guys,

I was inspecting the design files of the Nucleo board and could not understand the use of the capacitor used for the TCXO. In the image attached (nucelo design schematic file), a note says that the C31 is used in order to avoid stubs on XTA path when the same capacitor is not placed. I don't understand what it means, could someone help please?

0693W00000Nq5LeQAJ.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

Have a look at UM2592 6.5.1 HSE clock (high-speed external clock). Stub avoidance is not mentioned in the text and the text sounds more reasonable

The TCXO feeds into XTALIN. XTALIN is an analog input with its own biasing and a high sensivity. A low power/level signal is needed to not overdrive and the capacitance to not disturb biasing

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Nikita91
Lead II

The note does not say that C31 is for stub avoidance. This is a recommendation for the PCB designer who says do not stub. In other words C31 should not be on a branch of the signal, but directly on the line between the TCXO and the MCU.

What nucleo is it?

Mike_ST
ST Employee

>> What nucleo is it?

I guess Nucleo STM32WL55 (MB1389)

NUCLEO-WL55JC (MB1389D)

Yes, exactly.

Perhaps look at the loading expectations on the TCXO.

Then DC bias, wave form and Vp-p on the STM32WL side.

" A DC-cut capacitor is not embedded in this crystal oscillator"

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
LCE
Principal

10pF is surprisingly small.

So that STM32's input impedance on the oscillator input seems to be not very small, too...

Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

Have a look at UM2592 6.5.1 HSE clock (high-speed external clock). Stub avoidance is not mentioned in the text and the text sounds more reasonable

The TCXO feeds into XTALIN. XTALIN is an analog input with its own biasing and a high sensivity. A low power/level signal is needed to not overdrive and the capacitance to not disturb biasing