cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support for extended advertising packets (ADV_EXT_IND) on the WB55?

GHajj
Associate II

Can you use the extended advertising and scanning found in BLE 5 somehow? I have found some references to them in the code, but cannot find any defines. Do they exist? Will they be implemented?

7 REPLIES 7
Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

No the STM32WB RF stack is not supporting this optional BLE 5.0 feature and it will not be supported .

But it will be supported in the next member of the ST wireless device family.

ajeet
Associate II

Hi @Remi QUINTIN​ Is this feature now available in STM32WB55?

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

Yes this feature is now available in the last WB FW packages starting from v1.13.0. In the release notes: BLE new features => Extended advertising (under application flag selection)

Scott Löhr
Senior II

@Remi QUINTIN​ - the v1.13.2 BLE_HeartRate sample application does not run if I use the

stm32wb5x_BLE_Stack_full_extended_fw.bin

What sample app is configured to be able to run with that new library?

I don't know where to find scatter file referred to in release note, but not explained anywhere I can see:

BLE:

• Introducing following new binary Full stack extended: stm32wb5x_BLE_Stack_full_extended_fw.bin including BLE extended advertising features. with predefined fixed configuration: ( 3 sets maximum number, 1650 bytes maximum advertising data length) under application flag activation.
    • To use this binary on stm32wb5x, it is necessary to adapt the scatter file in the BLE applications (Refer to binaries description above for further details).

Ok, so it looks like the stm32wb5x_BLE_Stack_full_extended_fw.bin library is not usable by the common customer until sample apps support it in v1.14.0:

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00001NwmV4SAJ/hello-team-we-are-working-on-stm32wb55-project-and-we-want-to-include-extended-advertising-in-our-product-i-couldnt-find-much-example-or-reference-to-it-is-it-possible-to-provide-some-link-to-sample-project-for-stm32wb55-which-i-can-use

P.S. ST, maybe it would have been better to not include it in the public release for common customer before then ;-\

Hi @Remi QUINTIN​ the following thread says it's not available.

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00001NwmV4SAJ/hello-team-we-are-working-on-stm32wb55-project-and-we-want-to-include-extended-advertising-in-our-product-i-couldnt-find-much-example-or-reference-to-it-is-it-possible-to-provide-some-link-to-sample-project-for-stm32wb55-which-i-can-use

I think STM shouldn't release such information until they have actually built it. Now, I have been struggling with this and our product test and launch data has been postponed. Please make sure to add correct information in release notes.

RKast.1
Associate

Hello, I have one additional question related to advertising or extended advertising. Is/Will be there possible to make configuration based on the BLE stack that device is broadcaster and observer in one?

I know that this is probubly not standard using of bluetooth, so it's just the questino of possibility.

Is there already set exact date of stack update to support extended advertising?

Thanks in advance.