cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LoRaWan recommended way?

enok
Associate

I just started using the stm32cubemx tool and I want to make an application with a STM32WL55 which only wakes up once every day and exchanges one simple LoRa class A message. I need to use as little power as possible.

I get the impression that the least power consuming state from which the unit can wakeup is "standby" (around 300nA), and that the RTC wakeup counter should be used (is that right? There is no way for the RTC or other counter to power on the MCU from 30nA "shutdown" state?)

I'm starting from the LoRaWan application in stm32cubemx. How should I best do this? Can I make "sequencer" steps in the graphical stm32cubemx tool that runs for e.g. 10 seconds and then goes into standby state for 24 hours? Or should I ditch the timer-based sequence steps and explicitly write code that immediately performs the LoRa communication on startup and then immediately goes into standby, waiting for the next RTC wakeup? If so, how can I prevent the LoRaWan from generating periodic timer based code?

Hints appreciated, thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
Issamos
Lead II

Hello @enok and sorry for the late feedback.

According to the reference manual, you can use the shutdown mode.

Screenshot_2023-09-04-19-31-07-22_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

Then, the best solution will be to write your code to connect to the gateway and send his package directly after the wake-up and then hi can get back to the shutdown mode.

Hope this is helpful for you. If your question is answered please check this answer as best answer to be diffused.

Best regards.

II