cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long range video streaming

juanjo_asensio
Associate II

Hi there,

We want to stream video at a reasonable quality (HD) using the STM32WL, we were thinking on implementing this feature using LoRa, but looks like Sub-GHZ system isn't no capable for transmitting video.

What other methods can we use that can transmit video for around 6km (it's for a drone)?

Thanks in advance and sorry for our unexpertise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

LoRa brings Kbits in a problem that needs Mbits

There are several companies specializing in wireless video at HD, perhaps look at the technologies they are using.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

LoRa brings Kbits in a problem that needs Mbits

There are several companies specializing in wireless video at HD, perhaps look at the technologies they are using.

Thanks, but's way complex to find such Integrated Circuits.

juanjo_asensio
Associate II

Could you please let me know which are the most common used ones in the actual industry and that are well integrated with STM32?

Yes, tends to be niche and proprietary, frequently with NDA and IP Licencing. Long distance, high power, often into the realm of licensed bands. Have to looked at 5G Cellular?

Perhaps start looking at what the UAV crowd are using.

HD video, not really the realm of Cortex-M MCU's

juanjo_asensio
Associate II

Thanks, I'm having a look at it. But some companies have pattented their own improvements to transceivers so achieving that distance might be some quite difficult.

juanjo_asensio
Associate II

I know that this might sound horrible but: What about adding some buffer and frequency amplifiers for this purpose?

We can transmit a wave and then kind of remodulate it and amplify it for having a higher speed.

Is this usual or at least good enough?

ijaz786
Associate II

Hi there,

Streaming HD video using STM32WL and LoRa isn't feasible due to bandwidth limitations. For video transmission over 6km for a drone, consider these alternatives:

1. Cellular Networks (4G/5G): Reliable and offers sufficient bandwidth for HD video streaming.
  2. Wi-Fi with Range Extenders: Use Wi-Fi technology with repeaters or mesh networks to extend range.
  3. Custom RF Solutions: Utilize high-frequency RF modules designed for video transmission, like those used in FPV (First Person View) systems for drones.

Each method has its trade-offs in terms of cost, complexity, and power consumption, so choose based on your specific requirements and constraints.

Good luck!

juanjo_asensio
Associate II

Thanks for your answer, as I said previously I discard LoRa but buying 5GHz transceivers isn't an easy task.

I left this open in case someone knows which one is the most recommendable and affordable.