cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the X-NUCLEO-IHM15A1 compatible with NUCLEO-WB55RG

DRubi.1
Associate II

The documentation for the IHM15A1 dual DC brushed motor driver board (p.2) says it is only compatible with the following Nucleo boards: NUCLEO-F401RE, NUCLEO-F334R8 or NUCLEO-F030R8.

I have a Nucelo-WB55RG. Can I use the IHM15A1 with it? Does the documentation UM2393 need to be updated, or is there some reason the Nucelo-WB55RG isn't compatible with the IHM15A1 expansion board?

It seems that ST Motor control workbench software tool doesn't include support for the NUCLEO-WB55RG or the IHM15A1 - so I suppose I can not use it for profiling my motor?

What is the best approach for using and configuring the IHM15A1 expansion board with the NUCLEO-WB55RG?

Thanks! Dan.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @DRubi.1​,

The X-NUCLEO-IHM15A1 expansion board offers native support for the above listed STM32 Nucleo development boards thanks to the X-CUBE-SPN15 dual brush DC motor driver software.

If you want to use a different NUCLEO board to control this expansion board you can check if you have the proper signal available on the Arduino UNO R3 connectors (refer to Table 1 in the user manual UM2393).

In particular you need:

• a push-pull output to control STBY, PHA and PHB signals
  • a open drain output to control EN/FAULTA, EN/FAULTB,
  • a timer for PWMA, PWMB
  • optional a timer for REF_PWM_A and REF_PWM_A otherwise you can use the trimmer R2 and R29 to set the voltage reference (VREFx).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hello @DRubi.1​,

the X-NUCLEO-IHM15A1 is designed to drive DC brushed motor.

The STM32 Motor Control Workbench tool can be used for the development of application driving a 3-phase motor (PMSM).

So before to check the boards compatibility, could you confirm what type of motor you want to drive?

Hi Cristiana - I am driving a brushed DC motor.

Hi @DRubi.1​,

The X-NUCLEO-IHM15A1 expansion board offers native support for the above listed STM32 Nucleo development boards thanks to the X-CUBE-SPN15 dual brush DC motor driver software.

If you want to use a different NUCLEO board to control this expansion board you can check if you have the proper signal available on the Arduino UNO R3 connectors (refer to Table 1 in the user manual UM2393).

In particular you need:

• a push-pull output to control STBY, PHA and PHB signals
  • a open drain output to control EN/FAULTA, EN/FAULTB,
  • a timer for PWMA, PWMB
  • optional a timer for REF_PWM_A and REF_PWM_A otherwise you can use the trimmer R2 and R29 to set the voltage reference (VREFx).

Yes - that was my impression, that I could use any Nucleo board that could provide this minimal set of control signals. So you don't see any inherent reason why it couldn't work with the Nucleo-WB55RG - right?

I confirm, if these signals are available I don’t see contraindications in the use of the Nucleo-WB55RG.