cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase STM32WL Range

EmdSTM32WL
Associate II

Hello ,

I'm using the Nucleo-WL55JC1 in my project as Gateway and End-devices.

The SW Works well and it communicate properly, but i have problem with the RANGE between the Gateway and the End-device.

Know when I change the Antenna I can communicate with 300metres as range , but i like to achieve more distances like 1Km or +

Actual SW Params :

SP = 12

TxPower = 22db

Bandwidth = 125khz.

How can I increase the range , in SW or HW side ?

Thank you in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @EmdSTM32WL and welcome to the ST Community 😊.

Usually, the STM32WL can give a range of a few kilometers for the same configurations that you are using. I suggest you give more details about your HW configurations (the antenna that you are using, any changes that you have done on your HW,...).

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

EmdSTM32WL
Associate II

Hi STTwo-32,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I'm using STBoard : STM32-Nucleo 64 WL55JC , two boards , one as Gateway and another as End-device. , below you find.

Link : NUCLEO-WL55JC - STM32 Nucleo-64 development board with STM32WL55JC MCU, SMPS, supports Arduino and morpho connectivity - STMicroelectronics

Using the Antenna equipped alrerady with the board I made just 100metres , so I changed with another Antenna ( below you find the link of the antenna) , and I can increse the range to 300m , but it's not enough 

Link Antenna : GSM/GPRS Magnetic Antenna | Mikroe

PS : I'm using Nucleo-WL55JC1 ( high band).

For the SW I'm using the ST demonstartion in SMTE32WL FW.

I'm very blocked with this issue.

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards

STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello again @EmdSTM32WL 

I suggest you to.

• Decrease your Spreading Factor (SF) (try 7 or 8).
  • Ensure that your node is not exposed to interference (close to a WiFi node, a Bleutooth, ....).
  • Make sure that your gateway and node configurations are compatible.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32  

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

EmdSTM32WL
Associate II

Hi STTwo-32  ,

I tested as your suggestion , but no results.

with SF=7 , some meters to get communication.

Ps : I'm using Nucleo Board and the ST FW  , I don't made any hardware change. 

Any Solution please !

Best Regards

STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @EmdSTM32WL 

Can you give more details about your project (the gatway that you are using, the envirenement, ...)

Best regards.

STTwo-32

As the spreading factor increase, the bps drops significantly, watch the timeout.

The old B-L072Z-LRWAN1 board at 20 dBm could get signals 14KM LoS in a point-to-point test with the slowest most conservative settings.

https://www.mouser.com/new/stmicroelectronics/stmicro-stm32-lorawan-discovery-board/

The placement and configuration of the gateway are likely to dramatically impact distance and success.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Hello ,

I'm using the same type of board as Gateway and End device.

It' is :  NUCLEO-WL55JC

One NUCLEO WL55JC as Gateway and others cards NUCLEO WL55JC as end device. 

I have problem with range !

Thank you in advance.

Best Regrads,

Hello DeLorean,

Thank you for your message.

I made all SW and HW using the NUCLEO-WL55JC.

for this reason i 'm searching a solution around this baord.

by the way , you use the same board as Gateway also ?

Best Regards