cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BLE 5.4 Audio project guidance

flamefire
Associate II

Hello, i have a STM32WBA52CG with a NUCLEO 64 board.

I want to utilize the new BLE in speakers. I want a Client phone to broadcast audio to servers -> STM32WBA52CG.

First question, does an example sketch exist for this application? Is there some available code that i can look at to get started with BLE and its new features like an audio server?

Second question, can i use the internal DAC for audio purposes? Then the left and right channel go though the DAC and out to GPIO, so i can connect it to amplifier?

Third question, can i use the buildin DSP for doing equalizer operations on the left and right audio channel?

Fourth question, I was at a ST workshop in Denmark -> Aarhus, they showcased a video with some audio applications where the boards were used for audio broadcasting. In the video the server side could switch between two audio channels and there was two audio boards that each had a channel that were broadcasting audio. Im looking for this video, i cant find it, also looking for the source code.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
_Joe_
ST Employee

Hello Flamefire,

1)
To do audio broadcasting from a smartphone to servers, applications will be released in the next release around mid-March. You will need to use the TMAP_Unicast_Server application and use a compatible phone such as the Pixel 7/Pixel 8/Sony Xperia.

2)

There will be a DAC on the new WBA audio discovery kit that will be released at the same time as the examples. However, the STM32WBA52CG does not have one.

3)

There is no DSP for the moment.

4)

I don't have any information about this video, but it can be directly played with the PBP_Sink and PBP_Source on the new STM32WBA DK Audio. The source code is already available here.

Best regards, Joé.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
_Joe_
ST Employee

Hello Flamefire,

1)
To do audio broadcasting from a smartphone to servers, applications will be released in the next release around mid-March. You will need to use the TMAP_Unicast_Server application and use a compatible phone such as the Pixel 7/Pixel 8/Sony Xperia.

2)

There will be a DAC on the new WBA audio discovery kit that will be released at the same time as the examples. However, the STM32WBA52CG does not have one.

3)

There is no DSP for the moment.

4)

I don't have any information about this video, but it can be directly played with the PBP_Sink and PBP_Source on the new STM32WBA DK Audio. The source code is already available here.

Best regards, Joé.

AScha.3
Chief II

About DSP (maybe you seen in ds ) :

AScha3_0-1707208549078.png

The M4 core has some instructions, like DSPs have : MAC ...etc. , but no real DSP-co-processor there.

"Normal" C /++ program will not use this, you have to write assembler or use CMSIS -> DSP library.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

@_Joe_ wrote:

To do audio broadcasting from a smartphone to servers...

Are we talking Auracast / LE Audio here?

https://www.bluetooth.com/auracast/

https://www.bluetooth.com/learn-about-bluetooth/feature-enhancements/le-audio/ 

What about broadcasting from the STM32 to phones?

@_Joe_ wrote:

compatible phone such as the Pixel 7/Pixel 8... 

Does that include Pixel 7a ?

Yes i was specifically referring to Auracast and LE audio.

Got it, I could probably add my own DSP. If the new Audio DK kit wont be featured with DSP-co-processor.

Yes we are talking about Auracast / LE Audio.

Regarding broadcast from the STM32WBA to the phone, there is already projects available (here) : 

BLE_Audio_PBP_Source, working at the moment only with the Sony Xperia (1V 5V ou 10V) .

For unicast/TMAP : Pixel 7 / 7Pro / 7A / 8 / 8Pro are compatible.

BR, Joé

Pallavi
Associate III

Does STM32WB55RG support this LE audio streaming?