cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Writting text with Unicode::fromUTF8 bug

AAlis.23
Associate III

Hi,

I haver two text areas AAA and BBB both with wildcard buffer to write to. When use the funcion Unicode::fromUTF8 to write some text and the text is larger than the buffer the values of the two text areas are concatenated and writted on the first area.

If title lenght is larger than text area buffer the two buffers are concatenated and pinted in the fist text area:

Unicode::fromUTF8((const uint8_t*)title, AAABuffer, AAA_SIZE);

Unicode::fromUTF8((const uint8_t*)title2, BBBBuffer, BBB_SIZE);

The solucion is to limit the size to one less:

Unicode::fromUTF8((const uint8_t*)title, AAABuffer, AAA_SIZE - 1);

Unicode::fromUTF8((const uint8_t*)title2, BBBBuffer, BBB_SIZE - 1);

I think this is a small bug and the compiler must limit it.

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Yoann KLEIN
ST Employee

Hello @AAlis.23​,

I don't really get it, what happens if you don't add this - 1 to your buffer size ?

Could you share screenshot of the bug / behavior you are experiencing ?

Thanks,

/Yoann

Yoann KLEIN
ST Software Developer | TouchGFX
AAlis.23
Associate III

Hi,

Simulator does not run when added too many custom code.. no screenshot. This is what happends:

Unicode::fromUTF8((const uint8_t*)title, AAABuffer, AAA_SIZE);

Unicode::fromUTF8((const uint8_t*)title2, BBBBuffer, BBB_SIZE);

If title is larger than AAA_SIZE the result is the two text concatenated on the AAA text area and the BBB text on it's place:

AAA -> "text_1text2"

BBB -> "text2"

Its like the buffer end character its overwritten and the function that shows the text is not stopping and getting the next text in memory...

t.decker
Senior II

Hi @Yoann KLEIN​, I have a similar issue here. I think it's the same cause as the behaviour described by @AAlis.23​ in the fromUTF8()-function:

static uint16_t fromUTF8(const uint8_t* utf8, UnicodeChar* dst, uint16_t maxchars);

When the given utf8 string is longer than maxchars, dst won't get a terminating '\0'. Doesn't matter if you set maxchars to XYZ_SIZE, XYZ_SIZE-1 or a ver short number like 5. maxchars only limits the number of copied characters, but does not add the terminating char.

Unfortunately some standard c-lib function have the same behaviour, so this might be intentended? Then it should be noted in the documentation of the function. Then every call to fromUTF8 must be followed by a

dst[maxchars-1] = 0;

When this account seems to be inactive, try @tdecker2 - ST can't change mail addresses, so I had to create a new account.
AAlis.23
Associate III

hi,

My strings are well terminated with \0 character, the problem is with the fromUTF8 function when the string is larger than size, the next string in memory is concatenated (very rare because I think the next string is not at the next memory address), but, with the -1 I corrected this problem

t.decker
Senior II

Hi @AAlis.23​, maybe you see the \0 character, because the memory had this value before? Also you say the contiguous strings get concatenated. That's only because the first one doesn't have the termination char.

I have seen random other texts in dst after the copied data when setting maxchars to half of dst length.

I hope I'm not wrong here with my assumptions 😬

When this account seems to be inactive, try @tdecker2 - ST can't change mail addresses, so I had to create a new account.
AAlis.23
Associate III

Hi,

If I try to write a text longer than the "maxchars" value the function should add the \0 at the end to respect the max length of the text area, if the string is concatenated to the next string in memory and the number of chars printed are higher than the maxchars value... this is a bug, as simple as this and should be corrected.

Thanks

t.decker
Senior II

@Yoann KLEIN​ Any news here from ST's side?

AAlis.23
Associate III

no :(

Yoann KLEIN
ST Employee

Hello,

Sorry for the big delay.

I just discussed this with one of my colleague that knows more than me on the subject.

What @t.decker​ said previously is perfectly correct, the size you select in Designer has to take consideration of the \0 character, and this character has to be placed at the last position to avoid any issue with buffer management. The string you wanna put in the wildcard buffer should always be less than at least MAXCHAR-1 long. We strongly advice you to always select a buffer size at least slightly bigger than the longest string you want to put inside 🙂

Hope that helps,

/Yoann

Yoann KLEIN
ST Software Developer | TouchGFX