cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TouchGFX Display Orientation Setting - 0/90/180/270 degrees?

David George
Associate III

Hello all

I know there have been plenty of posts about TouchGFX not providing the full set of display rotation options usually found in other GUI systems such as emWin (0, 90, 180, 270 degrees). But I wanted to ask ST / TouchGFX if there any plans to add this functionality in the future?

As an embedded engineer we often have to provide solutions for problems, and being presented with a display that had to be mounted upside down or rotated 90 degrees is not un common, usually enclosure or PCB connector constraints demand the display is orientated so the FPC connector tail is in a pre-set position. In the real world we are not creating firmware for DISCO or NUCLEO development boards. 

As a long time user of emWin, being able to rotate the display image was assumed. Its an essential feature, just like displaying a text string.

I know there is a ugly 'solution' offered that involves swapping all the pixels in the frame buffer, but as suggested this is 'expensive' in terms of bandwidth and power, and far from ideal.

I really hope TouchGFX have this feature the on their development roadmap for the near futrure.

15 REPLIES 15

The display controller I'm currently using (ST7789V) does not have a HDIR or VDIR hardware pin.

But you got me thinking, I noticed the ST7789V does have a "RGB to RAM" mode (instead of sending the RGB data directly to the display shift register as I was), so I enabled this to hopefully send the data to the internal memory in the controller.

• (B1h) RGBCTRL.WO = 1 (Direct RGB Mode to Memory)

Then I changed the Memory Data Access Control settings that control the RAM to Display addressing.

So to mirror the image I selected to X Swap, Y Swap.

• (36h) MADCTRL.MX = 1  (Right to Left)
  • (36h) MADCTRL.MY = 1  (Bottom to Top)

Now my RGB image has been flipped 180 degrees just as I needed. Perfect, I learnt something today.

So thank you MM..1 for making me take a second look to solve this. 

Hi @Osman SOYKURT 

@David George  said

>> But I wanted to ask ST / TouchGFX if there any plans to add this functionality in the future?

I'm curious if there's a publicly shareable TouchGFX roadmap, outlining the major features planned for implementation over the next e.g. 6, 12, or 24 months.

Some projects might avoid using the GFX library altogether because certain features, such as screen rotation, haven't been implemented yet. However, this could change if designers knew that such features were on the 'to be implemented in the next XX months' list.

Best regards

Ferro

Hello @ferro ,

We do not have a publicly shareable roadmap available I'm afraid. But our development team is continuously working to improve TouchGFX, and we take community feedback seriously as it helps us prioritize new features and enhancements. So the more we get requests for a feature, the more chance it has to be considered by us.

Osman SOYKURT
ST Software Developer | TouchGFX

>> "But our development team is continuously working to improve TouchGFX"

Yes it does, great tool. Thank you.

Hello 

I met the same problem,the case of the device limited the direction of lcd,I have to turn the lcd upside down,but touchgfx only have  0 degree and 90 degree direction.have you got a solution now?

Hello @amb 

This is still under discussion, it's indeed a highly requested feature but we have also other requests we need to prioritize.

I'll answer on this thread when I'll know more about it. 

Osman SOYKURT
ST Software Developer | TouchGFX