cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TouchGFX: Create Project via CubeMX Issue

KMew
Senior III

Hello,

I am trying to prepare myself for a custom board design and I want to understand how to create a project via CubeMX, similar to how embryonic does in the YouTube video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRQD8JMeg_k&t=2030s

To try and do this, I am using the STM32H7B3I-EVAL board. I create a project in CubeMX (selecting the STM32H7B3I-EVAL board) with the TouchGFX 4.20.0 software package added. Once the project is generated, I open the project in CubeIDE and open the application template and create a very basic screen (blue background with the text "I have configured this correctly", just to prove the concept). I then made the code changes made in the video into the CubeIDE files that he does.

However, I have not been able to get this to work. The screen is just black.

This may be a longer debugging process, but first I want to sanity check myself:

1) If I want to use the TouchGFX Designer to make my display on a custom board, is the best practice to make the project in CubeMX/CubeIDE, then open the TouchGFX application template and create the display to do what I want.

OR

Is the better approach to create the project in TouxhGFX, then adjust the CubeMX parameters for pin configuration?

2) Based on the steps I've described initially, what information should I provide to try and diagnose this problem?

I apologize if this is a broad question, but I am unsure where to focus my concern.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Because I fear this may be too vague, I would like to explain the steps I have done to try and diagnose the problem:

1) First, I followed the steps in the video to the best of my abilities. Since the STM32H7B3I-EVAL uses a different display than the one in his video, there are certain parameters I had to change (display resolution, pixel format, SDRAM addresses, etc.). But I have enabled:

• FMC (modified to my board's SDRAM)
  • DMA2D (Unchanged)
  • LTDC (modified to my board's display)
  • CRC (Unchanged)
  • TouchGFX Software Pack Inclusion (modified to my board's display)

2) I added the MX_TouchGFX_Process() into the TouchGFX task to enter the TouchGFX generated task

3) I included all the BSP files for the evaluation board and included them in the include paths

4) Compared all TouchGFX files produced to compare to a working project I have (one that was first created via TouchGFX and selecting my evauation board, then changing the pin configuration and main code via CubeMX/IDE.

From doing this, all the noticeable files were the same. The only discernable difference is in the Middleware directory, there are is a .cpp and .hpp file (OSWrappers) that are excluded from the build. Additionally, in the TouchGFX > Simulator, the main.cpp is excluded from the build. I'm unsure if those matter though...

0693W00000WJsYDQA1.png 

0693W00000WJsWDQA1.png

5 REPLIES 5
MM..1
Chief II

Hi

for Q1 i mean yes custom boards and LCD is more better start in CubeMX/IDE

But steps in the middle is do LCD work without TGFX

Hello MM,

Thank you for confirming! I figured that made sense, since TouchGFX has presets based on a specific evaluation board, so you'd spend more time adjusting it to the specific, custom board than you would adding the features you need from the CubeMX.

I'd be interested to know the steps on making the LCD work without TouchGFX. TouchGFX creates a lot of the files needed (View, Presented, Model, Model Listener, Wrapper, etc.). Creating all of that from scratch would take substantial time, would it not?

KMew
Senior III

Bump because I added more details on what I've done thus far.

MM..1
Chief II

I dont write make GUI screens ... , but LCD and other hw need work before start TGFX.

Simple :

1. Config MX
  2. Add drivers code for external hw
  3. Test it
  4. All work start adding TGFX open ioc , add software package ...

Hello MM,

Thank you for this suggestion. I am going to try to do what you recommended and get back to you!