cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touch controllers natively supported/integrated by/into TouchGFX

Ricko
Associate III

Hi,

where do I find a list of touch controllers supported by TouchGFX "out of the box" so I don't need to write any drivers?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes, with an I2C touch controller it is fairly simple. You just need to read from and write to the corresponding registers. Keep in mind that this code is for TouchGFX to receive the touch events, and TouchGFX does not support more than one touch simultaneously. That is the reason for the code to be fairly simple.

Mohammad MORADI
ST Software Developer | TouchGFX

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hello @Ricko ,

You can use any touch controller with TouchGFX, you just need to provide the functionality for TouchGFX to use the touch controller. You can read about it here .

But, if you are looking for a "Out of Box" solution, then you should choose one of the boards that is available in the TouchGFX designer 

TouchGFX Board SetupsTouchGFX Board Setups

I hope this answers your question

Mohammad MORADI

Thank you @Mohammad MORADI ESFAHANIASL 

unfortunately cannot use a dev kit because we are developing our own PCB to control all other actuators and sensors in the system.

I also tried to look at the schematics of the dev kits to see if I could see which touch controller they use but could not find that out.

There must be a way to know which controllers are used in the dev boards... how?

Thank you 🙂

I see. To figure out which touch controller is used, you should find the name of the display that is mounted on the board, and search for that to find out what touch controller is used. For instance, if you look at STM32U5G9J-DK2 board Bill of Material (available here), you can see that which LCD has been used:
Bill of Material for STM32U5G9J-DK2Bill of Material for STM32U5G9J-DK2

However, I recommend not worrying about the touch controller that much. Try to find a touch controller that uses an I2C connection, and then you can get inspiration from the STM32U5G9J-DK2 project that is available in the TouchGFX designer by examining the code inside target/STM32TouchController.cpp:

Touch controller code used in STM32U5G9J-DK2Touch controller code used in STM32U5G9J-DK2

But, keep in mind since you are using your own custom board, you need to set up the I2C configuration through your STM32CubeMX project. The process is explained here

Mohammad MORADI

Thank you @Mohammad MORADI ESFAHANIASL 

just to confirm. Are you saying that - apart from configuring the I2C - all the code that needs to be written for a totally custom touch controller - literally any I2C touch controller - is just very few lines similar to the ones in your screenshot above (obviously specific to the controller I decide to use)?

My worry was that I had to write more coda than that... Is that all?

Thank you

Yes, with an I2C touch controller it is fairly simple. You just need to read from and write to the corresponding registers. Keep in mind that this code is for TouchGFX to receive the touch events, and TouchGFX does not support more than one touch simultaneously. That is the reason for the code to be fairly simple.

Mohammad MORADI

You are very welcome!
Good luck

Mohammad MORADI