cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H7S problem with debugging application

FCola.1
Associate II

Hello everyone, I am using STM32H7S78-DK with TouchGFX HVAC-IoT Demo and I am encountering some problem while I am trying to debug application project. I can flash my code but I can't debug it.

Can anyone tell me which is the problem?

I am using TouchGFX version 4.24.0, STM32CubeIDE 1.16.0 with ST-LINK GDB Server.

I didn't make changes to the default code, so I only open TouchGFX demo example and flash it to my board.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GaetanGodart
ST Employee

Hello @FCola.1 ,

Once you debug, it is normal to get an error message ("Break at address "0x8000b8c" with no debug information available, or outside of program code.").
In the debug session, you have to click on the "Resume" button (F8) to "run the application".
It will look like nothing is happening because you are actually in the bootloader (0x8000b8c).
Click on the hardware reset button on the board (the black button) and then you will see that you are now in the application part of the code. From there you can debug again (Resume, Step over, etc).

I hope this helps. :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:
If this comment answers your question, I invite you to select it as "best answer".

Regards,

Gaetan Godart
Software engineer at ST (TouchGFX)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
GaetanGodart
ST Employee

Hello @FCola.1 ,

Can you tell us what the problem is exactly?

Do you get errors messages when trying to debug? Is the Debug button greyed out?

Are you used to using this board and debugging it but only when you run the HVAC demo does it refuse to debug?

If you created a project from TouchGFX Designer, making sure to select the board, then clicking on import GUI and importing the HVAC demo, then clicking on either "Generate code" or "Simulate" at the bottom right, then you should be able to open your project in STM32CubeIDE and to click on the debug button from STM32CubeIDE.

I hope this helps. :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:

If this message answer your question, I invite you to select it as "best answer".

Regards,

Gaetan Godart

Hi @GaetanGodart , 

thank you for your quick reply. 

I am encountering the same problem with every demo downloaded from TouchGFX (attached image is an example). 

If I flash my STM32H7S78-DK with STM32CubeProgrammer and then I do a power cycle, the demo is running normally. 

If I use STMCubeIDE, I have those two behaviors : 

1) I can flash the bootloader and debug it; 

2) I can flash the application but i can't debug it (see attached image). 

May I have to remove or add some jumpers to connectors on board? 

As I mention in my first post, I have not changed either the code or the STMCubeIDE's configuration.

If you need some additional information, I am at your disposal.

From what I understood, you followed those steps :

1. Open TouchGFX Designer, create a new project with a STM32H7S78DK board
  2. Go to Edit => Import => GUI, select the HVAC demo
  3. Generate code (bottom left corner button in TouchGFX Designer)
  4. Open the folder, open the STM32CubeIDE project
  5. Build the bootloader, then flash it
  6. Build the app, then click the debug button
  7. You get the error message in the debugger window

Am I right?

Gaetan Godart

@GaetanGodart 

Yes, you are right

@GaetanGodart  

Any advice?

GaetanGodart
ST Employee

Hello @FCola.1 ,

Once you debug, it is normal to get an error message ("Break at address "0x8000b8c" with no debug information available, or outside of program code.").
In the debug session, you have to click on the "Resume" button (F8) to "run the application".
It will look like nothing is happening because you are actually in the bootloader (0x8000b8c).
Click on the hardware reset button on the board (the black button) and then you will see that you are now in the application part of the code. From there you can debug again (Resume, Step over, etc).

I hope this helps. :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:
If this comment answers your question, I invite you to select it as "best answer".

Regards,

Gaetan Godart