cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F429 Discovery Board Not Working Properly

Raymond Buck
Senior

I purchased a STM32F429 Discovery Board about a year ago. I finally got around to unboxing it today. I want to see if I can figure out how to use the TouchGFX tool with this board. I want to have 6 buttons and a textbox on the display.

The board has a program loaded on it from the factory. Apparently something is not right with the software. The screen has Video player, Image browser, Clock/Calendar, Performance, Game, and System Info images on the screen. I assume you are supposed to touch these to see a demonstration of these items.

However, none of them work properly. If I touch Clock/Calendar the display will sometimes pull the calendar and clock up. At other times the screen changes to "MJPEG Player". If I touch the System Info "button" it pulls up Image Browser and says "No File Found". Regardless of what comes up, NONE of the buttons respond to being touched. The only thing I can do is press the reset button. This restarts the board and it returns to the default startup screen.

Did anyone test this software before shipping the boards to the distributors?

Are there any tutorials online that can help me program this board to something that works? Everything I have found so far uses STM32F7xx CPU's. Is there anything that can be done to make the factory installed program work?

23 REPLIES 23

Hi,

Are you planning to use TouchGFX or are you just having some fun with discovery kits for learning ? If you wish to use TouchGFX you will find a fully pre configured project, which we call TouchGFX Board Setup (TBS), in TouchGFX Designer for the STM32F429 dk rev E. In TouchGFX Designer 4.20 you will see 3 different TBS available for the STM32F429 dk so make sure you select the one for the revision E. You will then have a configured STM32CubeMX project with all the necessary board specific packages to run a TouchGFX application on this board, and you will be able to use either STM32CubeIDE, Keil, or IAR as your preferred toolchain.

/Romain

CLam.2
Associate II

yes the lcd.hex works, thanks a lot.

SGill.3
Associate II

I had this issue with the blue -E01 version of the 32F429 discovery kit. The touch screen was flipped left to right (looking at it in landscape). So, if a button was on the left side of the screen, you would need to press on the right side of the screen to activate it. The way the board is put together, I could not see a way to fix this mechanically without the risk of damaging the board. I contacted STM to see if there was a way to fix this in the software without a resolution. I could not figure out how to flip it myself in the software. I ended up testing stuff pressing on where I thought the touch screen location of the button was.

The touch screen controller gives the processer a pair of numbers that represent the press location. It is up to the processer to figure out if the x, y location is where a button on the screen is. I am going to try a blank project with the -E01 board description and see if that works.

Seems you completely don’t understand how touchGFX code work. Open target folder and edit touch cpp file. Rearange touch coords is two line code...