cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues when configuring LTDC on STM32F429I DISCO to drive ILI9341

Woula
Associate II

Hi,

I got a STM32F429I DISCO. I’m trying to configure LTDC to display a black screen (it should be simple😅 ), but i don’t really succed it.

I am really confused because i don’ t understand the following things :

1. Does the STM32F429I DISCO implement Serial (SPI) or parallel interface ? Because according to the datasheet, the 4 – Wire Serial is configured (IM[3:0]=0110), so how can we use ther the LTDC ?

2. Is the ILI9341 library mandatory to use the display ?

You can see my configuration above.

Thanks !

0693W000000Wlo2QAC.png0693W000000WlnsQAC.png0693W000000WlniQAC.png0693W000000WloCQAS.png

4 REPLIES 4

> 1. Does the STM32F429I DISCO implement Serial (SPI) or parallel interface ?

Both SPI, and the "native", "controllerless" RGB parallel interface.

(The "controlled" parallel interface, sometimes called 8080/68k, is sort of usable, but would be impractical to use given the LTDC and FSMI pins don't match, nor are the LTDC data pins on a single port).

> Because according to the datasheet, the 4 – Wire Serial is configured (IM[3:0]=0110), so how can we use ther the LTDC ?

Through SPI, you write to ILI9341 registers, among other things swtiching on the "native" "controllerless" mode of ILI9341, which is then "transparent" to the RGB data passing them from STM32's LTDC into the LCD panel itself.

Read the ILI9341 datasheet.

> 2. Is the ILI9341 library mandatory to use the display ?

Well, you need to have some software to control the display, so either you use what's provided as an example, or you write your own from scratch.

JW

Kpodu.1
Associate II

If you are using system work bench or STM32 cube IDE use the attached document to create your display project.

Woula
Associate II

Really thank you, i will try that.

Ok, i understand a little more. I will look at the datasheet again to figure that out. Thank you.